TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

>>Check out my new intro!!<<

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13311 Report
alright, i go on vacation for a week and all hell breaks loose! i have a few comments on what i have read so far...

1. i was not mentioned in the list of honest, straight-shooters...what's up with that?

2. damn these kids are growing up too fast these days ... getting all loopy on ecstasy and becoming freelance designers.

3. flash is bad. yes it's true. if flash didn't exist, trust me we'd be just fine. flash is the most over-used, poorly-used web technology out there.

4. slick, easy technology is not a replacement for an artistic eye and raw talent.

5. god bless the 'skip intro' button (2nd in popularity only to 'back').

6. here's a hint: creative directors are busy people. they WILL NOT waste their time trying to figure out your convoluted navigation system and 'cleverly' titled content areas and will probably be very annoyed that your site is a full screen flash extravaganza that crashes their computer. YOU WILL NOT GET THE JOB.

7. did you ever notice that almost all flash/shockwave games feature cool art or trendy characters but the gameplay itself seems to be based off of an atari 2600 game? they are really nothing special.

8. web designers...you want my advice. your time would be better served looking for clients than wasting it creating an insanely complex website for yourself. (on second thought, stop looking for clients...i have enough competition as it is) the perfect web portfolio would be one page of text links to websites you've actually designed.

9. and don't you EVER make your website fill my entire screen. i'm sorry but honestly its not that important to me. plus i am working in illustrator and IMing my sister while i browse the web so please don't f*** it all up for me. also, god created browser buttons and menus to help us navigate the web. there is no reason for you to take them away and replace them. plus, i don't need options to 'customize' the background or color scheme of your site while i am looking at it (how arrogant are you???). so don't waste your time implementing that. and if you stay up late at night tying to match the colors of the scroll bar to the rest of your site.....get a life.

as for the flash animation that started this whole discussion. i agree with deker ... it serves no purpose except to annoy the user (especially repeat visitors) and worst of all it is really really boring.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13326 Report
1. i was not mentioned in the list of honest, straight-shooters...what's up with that?

It's all your fault. If you had been posting around here...I wouldn't have forgotten about you. So lemme add you to my list.

And btw...how was the vacation?

also, join the other straight shooters and stragglers in irc.othersideirc.net #teamps ...

We hang out there pretty much until 1 or 2 am.

and if you stay up late at night tying to match the colors of the scroll bar to the rest of your site.....get a life

I have but one thing to say...MEANY!!!
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13360 Report
That music is creeping me out , like if thousand monkeys were trying to play on the instruments provided .
I timed the intro , it took me 5 minutes to dowload it , Im on Cable , and it works fine . (Well its somewhat Positive thing , it gave me time to get a cup of tea )
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13366 Report
and if you stay up late at night tying to match the colors of the scroll bar to the rest of your site.....get a life

Then I guess I'll have to make mine during the day huh?:rolleyes:
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13384 Report
c'mon!! i love the colored scroll bars :D only frickin reason i upgraded IE :D but your right if it takes someone that long to color them then they do need a life, its pretty simple...I think this thread is getting a little out of hand for something i don't believe is a big problem with syber's site...a lot of sites I would agree with most of you ppl, but not here.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 19th 2001#13671 Report
ViDA: you need to get a different cable provider..you should be getting around 800k .. that means that the intro would take less than one sec to download..
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 19th 2001#13691 Report
Uhhh.....I'm still staying out of most of the assorted and sundry debates. I will, however make two comments, ahem:

1) Internet math = 800K connection is actually only gonna give you about (someone correct me if I'm way off) 60 to 80 kps download speed (I slept thru the class where they explained that).

2) Syber, there's only 2 people who have to ultimately be happy with your work....your client and you. There has been a lot of valuable advice given to you here (for FREE). What you learn from it is up to you. Just because the client has pushed you towards a big flashy commercial before you enter his sight, doesn't mean it's in his best interest. As you become more and more experienced you will find you have the opportunity to 'advise' clients in what is GOOD internet construct and what is not going to sell for them.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 19th 2001#13697 Report
800k = 80kps download...well im not really sure..Im on 400k cable and i download stuff (on a good day..) at around 360kps
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 20th 2001#13758 Report
Snake, I'm on 500k cable, and if you do the bandwith test at CNET, I get an average of 80k download. And that was at the top of the chart for 500k.

If you're getting 360k, they installed a T3 into your house, and not cable.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 20th 2001#13796 Report
toast.net/performance broadband test..i've gotten around 500k download.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum