TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

shopping a laptop

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Reply
Aug 7th 2006#174208 Report
Wow, this is amazing, it just solved my problem!

So there's no trap? It runs ANY windows apps... I'm astonished and very please to now know that I will be able to get a macbook without being worried about all my old apps.

Talking of macbooks, I've been looking the techspecs and all and knowing Deker is working in an Apple store... Is there a difference between the 2.0GHz macbook white and black or the black is more expensive only cause of its colour? Because for me the black one looks alot more sexy.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 7th 2006#174209 Report
The black one has an 80gb hard drive instead of 60, which is a $50 upgrade if you were to order the white one online and configure it with an 80gig hard drive. So you're basically paying $150 for the black color. And it's totally worth it. They are awesome looking.

No there are no traps, you are actually running Windows on native intel processors. It will be exactly like running it on a Dell or any other machine. You can even still get viruses and spyware, hooray!
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 7th 2006#174211 Report
I see... it sucks that we have to pay an extra only for the color, not like the Ipods.

You say we still can get the viruses and such like, but if one of these viruses or spywares spread into windows, will it affect OSX or will it be contained and affect only the 'window' that display windows?
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 8th 2006#174212 Report
It'll only affect Windows, unless it is some sort of really amazing virus that destroys a hard drive's partition tables or something.

They just announced the features for the upcoming OSX Leopard this morning, looks pretty amazing! http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 8th 2006#174213 Report
[QUOTE=deker]Yes I've used Parallels, but it was a beta version when they were first developing it and releasing beta copies on the 'net. Now it's a full retail product. Yes you definitely need a lot of memory, as you have basically 2 operating systems sharing a machine. But since it's using an Intel processor, it isn't having to emulate a processor like Virtual PC used to, so it should run at full speed as long as you have the RAM. I would recommend at the very minimum 1gig, probably maxing it out to 2 gigs would be best.

Here's a video of Parallels running on a MacBook. You can see it running in fullscreen and using some slick 3d effects with Quartz Extreme built in to OSX.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Derek, that looks really slick!
But what about copying files between the two systems? Is it just drag and drop? The memory is no problem, I will max the memory out anyway.

Maybe I'll buy a mac one day!
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 8th 2006#174215 Report
Yeah you can easily copy files between them. I'm not sure if it's drag and drop, but you can at least access the two different drives.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 10th 2006#174243 Report
Might I be the first to reccomend using Smackbook?

http://blog.medallia.com/2006/05/smacbook_pro.html

A how-to can be found here, http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6080229.html .
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 11th 2006#174246 Report
^ haha, that looks pretty nice!

So, I've been looking around and I pretty much like everything from the Macbook... except one thing, one HUGE lack from this dreamy machine and that is the shi**y integrated 64 mb video card.

Don't get me wrong, gaming isn't a priority for my laptop, but everyone play once in a while, but what in hell is that? I've been reading a bit on some forums and I won't be able to play anything! Worst yet, I won't EVER be able to upgrade it. This is just plain ridiculous.... 64mb? Comon.

Some rumours say that they are working on some new drivers to make things better, but in all honesty, it cannot be that good.

I mean, I can get a far, far superior video card of 256mb on a dell with a cheaper price. My only possibilities are either to forget playing games on my future laptop or just go PRO, but that is starting to get too expensive for my tastes.

I'm sad right now :(
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 14th 2006#174264 Report
Yeah the video card is the big drawback to the MacBooks, and the reason they won't work for me. I really like the black one but can't take that video card. You could always get a refurbished MacBook Pro for about the same price as a black MacBook. My last couple of Macs were refurbished and I haven't had any problems. Same warranty and everything.

And I wouldn't recommend doing the smackbook thing... Not really good for a computer to be hitting it all the time.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 15th 2006#174271 Report
A refurbished Macbook Pro? Where would I find that, in an Apple store? There is one that opened where I live and is supposedly very big (in Montreal), so maybe I can go look there...

I've also read that there is gonna be an Apple meeting the 16th of September in Paris or something and that they would be announcing some new stuff for the Macbook... maybe you have heard something about that. So maybe it would be good to wait untill then... or not.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum