TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

CWCONLINE v2003b

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Reply
Jul 7th 2003#112013 Report
i'd keep a flash menu.

make it slidey/flashy/interactive and of course USER FRIENDLY

i personally love flash but alot dont, so i think a hybrid of flash and html would work fantastic

maybe even have an iframe to display content below the nav, so if you have a complex menu system the user doesnt have to flick thru sub-menu's everytime the page loads as it doesnt reload the nav, just contect (quicker).

if u do use the iframe ....

on (release) {
getURL ("http://thepage.com/", "main");
}

"main" is the "name=" given to the iframe.

this way in flash when you click that link it doesnt load it in the whole window, just that iframe

hope that helps sum how
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 7th 2003#112060 Report
I would normally use Iframes, but I find them a pain to work with. I'll give it a whirl, though. Thanks for the help. =D

I'm working on the content pages now, so hopefully they get fixed.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 7th 2003#112062 Report
that fade in thing on the main page blows i hate it agh... get rid of that idea because you cant click on links until its done fading in... suxors deluxors lol
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 7th 2003#112065 Report
i suggest to have an intro page which loads then positions all your content (in flash) to where it'l sit on the page, then when it's loaded, just have "enter"
OR
just have it load the next page..

also add a "SKIP" bit to it.
also as your intro page says "you need IE v.6 etcc...." well i'd just have a simple code to say "sorry you do not have one of the following items;
IE v.6
flash capability
javascript
etc..."
this can be done v.simply using a smidgin of code.

try searching google for "flash test" or "check pc spec in flash" something like that. www.actionscript.com also good place.

hope tht helps.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 7th 2003#112070 Report
^^ That idea won't work, because that would be almost like having 2 splash pages, which delays a user's experience from entering the site, so that isn't an option.

Sir_ant, I have fixed that problem. I forgot to copy the link targets to also be in Frame 1, and scroll all the way, until the end; however, the fade will remain. =P

Hmmm....that's a good idea about the script. I'll look into it. Thanks. =D

Christopher William Coddington (Xzandar / cwcandromeda),
CWCONLINE Administrator/Webmaster
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 8th 2003#112248 Report
nah i meant, ... put both (original) and my new idea splash screens together in one page.

ok ...

have a page which (instead of saying "u need BLAH") it'l say "you HAVE blah" it cud be all cool matrix "wake up neo" style font (from the matrix ;)) where it ticks or "types" across the screen. (it'd look cool) then you could have IF "browser" == IE> (or what ever [check actionscript site]) then it'l warn the user that it might nt be displayed properly. If they have everything, then it just loads straight in.

i know it sounds like alot but im sure it'd b well worth it and make your site stand out just like 2advanced etc...

Note: when doin ticking text (i think u've already done some) DONT DO NOT EVER EVER make it tick too slow, -that (as wel as no "skip intro") are the two most hated things on splash or intro's (especially flash)

hope you try that ^ it'd be a gr8 site :D:D:D
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 8th 2003#112260 Report
Hmmmm................you're right. That sounds good. I'll go look into it now. Thanks for the idea. =D

Also, I started on a new theme for the biography page.

http://www.cwcoddington.net.tc/cwconline.php?pageid=biography.php

^^ The text menu is temporary, as I am still working on the flash navigation menu for all the content pages. Does it look alright?

Christopher William Coddington (Xzandar / cwcandromeda),
CWCONLINE Administrator/Webmaster
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 8th 2003#112272 Report
You have two splash pages and a slow fade... Why? Flash intros are quite possibly the most irritating thing on the internet, which I'm sure you are aware of. So why have it? First the user has to click the Enter button. Then wait for the flash to load. Then they can either watch the flash, or skip it. Then they have to wait for a slow fade just to see the rest of the site. If I wasn't looking at your site to critique it, I would have left at the second splash page. Splash pages are only delaying people from getting to your actual web site. It's like being forced to watch a 30 second commercial before you are allowed to enter a Wal-mart store.

There is no reason for the site to be in flash... It would be much faster loading and easier to use if it was just play jpeg images.

I like the graphics on the first page, they are colorful and put together pretty well. Putting text in the image is a bad idea though, for all of the reasons that putting text in images are bad.

Counters are pointless and only make your site look more amateur. Plus they are wildly inaccurate.

The secondary pages do not match the first page at all. It looks like you just half-hazardly cut off the top of the header and put some text underneath it. At least keep the navigation in the same place on the secondary pages.

It's hard to comment on anything else since there is no content...
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 8th 2003#112274 Report
also .tk hosting gives your advanced user hits.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 8th 2003#112312 Report
Okay. Biography page updated with changes. The main index of the site saw an increase in the fade. The counter was removed, along with the intro page. I don't know if this helped anything, but okay.

Christopher William Coddington (Xzandar / cwcandromeda)
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum