TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

If TeamPS was completely overhauled tomorrow...

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Reply
Aug 9th 2005#169500 Report
All interesting thoughts. I agree with Dek: the draw is the front end site. I believe Bob had given Rich a redesign for the front end with the transfer--but that won't put content into the site. I had mentioned to Rich some of the early ideas about sharing Google Adsense with content contributors, similar to what ForeverGeek and some of the other contributor based sites have done in the past.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 9th 2005#169501 Report
before I start, I was unaware of a change in management. When did Pank withdraw from the throne? Sad to hear...

first -

Gallery: Work posted here would be of professional, or approaching professional caliber.

I dont think it necessarily has to be of professional or approaching professional caliber. Saying that limits what people think is acceptable in that section, and some would be afraid to post things in it for fear of it not being "professional" enough. Plus, posting in it would almost assume an air of presumptuousness ("Yes, I am professional and am good enough to post in this section while others aren't"), and someone posting a work in it with less-than-par quality is just opening up the doors to all the "omg yuo sukz0r" and all that.

rather, the gallery should just be for "completely finished works." - In my humble opinion, anyway.

[QUOTE=deker]The major problem is that this site isn't just a forum. Most people come to the root site first, the one with the tutorials. And the problem there is that it hasn't been updated or added to in like 3 freakin' years or so. Pretty much all of the tutorials that are there are old and outdated, and made for version 6 or 7 of Photoshop. We have nothing even covering the new features of the new Photoshop editions.

If there is no interesting content pulling people to the root site, there is no way they are going to find or care about the forum.

That being said, who is going to write the tutorials and new content to pull people in? Beats me. Pank cashed out and isn't going to do it, and the new guy is apparently satisfied to take the money from ads with the few remaining users and admittedly doesn't even know photoshop or graphics himself. So unless he's going to start paying people to generate content, I'd say it's pretty much a lost cause.[/QUOTE]

Okay, this is definitely one root of the problem. Definitely. Teamps's root site should be updated with new content. However, why should the new owner pay us to write up content for a site that we nostalgically hold so dear in our hearts? shouldn't we want to do it just to draw attention back to the forum?

remember, pank was asking others to submit tutorials? Maybe we should try that again.

remember, apathy is a killer.

edit. remember, I say remember way too much.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 9th 2005#169504 Report
heey - look what the cat dragged in... hi Supah

Dek - yeah - the root site never entered into my mind lol. I don't think I visited that much - aside from the tuts section. Weird.. when I think of TPS I don't think of the site....

as for the pro accounts.. dunno - it seems to work for some other forums out there.. but they're just forums I guess - no rootsite... dunno

* shuts piehole *
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 10th 2005#169511 Report
remember, pank was asking others to submit tutorials? Maybe we should try that again.

Well I guess the state of the site is our own fault. A lot of us offered help to pank to launch a great new site, yet we mostly screwed him in the end. I dont see trying again going very well. If it would.......we would've done it the first time.

I agree the the root is part of the problem, but I think if we use that as an excuse, were not going anywhere. We pretty much missed our opportunity to fix it (ie the redesign), and with a new non-graphics owner, were stuck in a pretty big hole here.....and I aint got a ladder.

I guess if we can't find a way to strengthen the forum....were in big trouble.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 10th 2005#169513 Report
I should have spoken up early and mentioned that the red was nice at first but after like two seconds it just gets really annoying and is quite an eye sore :(
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 10th 2005#169514 Report
Supah, offering to do tutorials for free for nostalgia or whatever is nice, but not when the owner of the site is making money, in my opinion.

If this was just a fun community forum where the advertising proceeds went straight to paying hosting fees and the like, then that is one thing. But I'm not interested in donating my time to line someone else's pockets.

Same thing happened with ForeverGeek, I was an author there and Paul was nice enough to let us put our GoogleAds on the pages that we wrote. The more you wrote, the more money you got. If you wrote stupid articles that no one read, you got nothing. If you wrote awesome articles that brought in tons of traffic, you made more money.

I was making a considerable amount of money per month during that time. Then Paul sold the site, and the new owner pulled the plug and kept all the google ads to himself. I immediately lost interest in the site. I didn't join the site to make money, but it was obviously a perk and encouraged me to try harder to write good articles. And if the site had not been for the profit of someone else, it may have still been fun just to participate in the site.

I pretty much agree with Rodder that it's mostly hopeless at this point. Though I don't blame it all on the community. It's just the combination of things that have happened recently, the site not being updated, the redesign not going that well, then Pank leaving.

With the "leader" and owner of the site not knowing graphics, it will be next to impossible to revive the site at this point.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 10th 2005#169515 Report
Well, I am glad to see all the vets, hopping back on here, thsi is great.

Down to business, what I believe, really needs to be done, is as you have all suggested, more than the forum. Teamphotoshop used to be huge on the map, now it seems as if it is struggling to find this metaphorical map. I believe we, the vets, need to assist Rich, truly need to pool together, and show TeamPS where the map is.

I don't even know if Rich comes here, the last homepage update was months ago, and frankly, I think he can't do what pank once did. Especially having no real graphic experience. I'm not saying anything about Rich as a person, but I am saying rather frankly what I think of Rich so far as a leader. He isn't.

We, the vets, have to do something, we have to get in touch with Rich and tell him what we want to do. We need a plan. I think the current state of the website itself now is motivation enough.

Teamphotoshop was the first community I came to on the web, it was amazing, the people were so professional and intelligent, from the perspective of someone my age, Derek, Bob, Jake, Utopian, *NL*, all those guys, were role models (maybe not the best, heh.) But they truly were living versions of my aspirations. Now, here I sit, among them, yet not like them. A mod, by some great fluke. I'll be the first to tell you, I haven't done anything. But I want to .

Everyone is sitting here saying, "we mised our chance" Well, make a new chance. We don't know until we have tried. Let's do something.

I really don't know what else to say. I think I just rambled actually, it is sadly, pathetically, emotional, to see this place fall to pieces before my very eyes.

This is going to sound like a movie, but...

I want to do something about it. Who's with me?

Well, Derek just made me feel hopeless. :( But he makes a point.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 10th 2005#169516 Report
In my opinion it would be risky and wasteful to try to save this thing for Rich. We haven't heard from him in months. If we do put in a ton of time and effort to "save" the site, what's to stop him from pulling the plug and us losing and wasting all of that hard work.

If anything, I'd rather see a new site created by the original members that are interested. I think it would be much more worthwhile. Share the money, share the work. The Google Ads are a great way to do it. Just take enough off the top to cover hosting for whoever is paying for that.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 10th 2005#169517 Report
I'm game. That sounds like a good idea.

It's sad to say TeamPS must go, but we have what we need. And you raise a fine point.

A fresh start would be best.

Edit: I miss the IRC gang. Anyone know what Squid is up to?
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 10th 2005#169518 Report
I'd rather see a new site created by the original members that are interested. I think it would be much more worthwhile. Share the money, share the work. The Google Ads are a great way to do it. Just take enough off the top to cover hosting for whoever is paying for that.

YES! .. or perhaps the TPS blog! !!! but not TPS like something else TPE the photoshop elite :B heh oh my. but yeah a blog! and adsense in posts for mods!
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum