TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Flaming notepad - Defense of Dreamweaver

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Reply
Aug 28th 2001#14791 Report
Hey Charm would you mind if I checked out some of the sites you've done?
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 28th 2001#14833 Report
So what exactly do you choose your software for?

Sorry, I was taking a nap and forgot that this thread was still alive.

I chose software based on my need for it. I am not a webdesigner for any firm. I do not do freelance work. I don't have a need to turn out a cookie cutter, non standard website in 20 minutes.

I have the luck of doing this as a hobby. But in all honesty, I bought HomeSite the other day. But I bought it because I had a need for it. I had used it in a class at school and decided I would take it over dreamweaver anyday. I just started my dreamweaver class the other day and found myself asking the question "and people claim to save time with this?"

I can't remember exactly what feature the instructor was demonstrating, but I did notice that if you want advanced features in your tables or layers you either have to have an extension, or you have to edit your code.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 29th 2001#14846 Report
And you as you ignored the entire content of my post i'll restate:
a. I don't make cookie cutter websites (and certainly not in 20 minutes)
b. the point of a well-designed site is not the code, it's the site

Care to restate and make a point you haven't already said?

Chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 29th 2001#14852 Report
I agree with Fig. Dreamweaver or any other HTML editor produces perfectly fine HTML. Heck, I even use them to create layouts for my web based programs. Saves me a whole lot of time of typing out tables.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 29th 2001#14861 Report
b. the point of a well-designed site is not the code, it's the site

Uhm...since when did the code become a sepearte entity from the site? I mean you don't see the code, but you see the results of it. So where is the seperation?

I was sleeping when I wrote this. When I woke up i thought *what am i really trying to say*.

So, what I am really trying to say is. Go ahead, use dreamweaver. I honestly don't care. but there are just as many people on my side of the fense than there are on your side. And they still make good, well designed sites.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 29th 2001#14864 Report
WOW, talk about taking something out of context....

Axiom.... where exactly did you read ANY of that in Fig's post?

Is DW Faster: Yup, it is.... -click in ANY table cell, then bring up the source code.... You don't have to "look" for that table cell. That in itself saves me a bunch of time.
Do I have to tweak tables? ....Yes....but if I am going to have to edit the source either way....hand codeing OR Dreamweaver.

Simple fact is: It doesn't really matter where, how or why you produced the code, ALL most users are going to see is like Fig said....the usability.
< sarcasm >
I sometimes have a HTML fairy swoop down and wiggle a tiny magic wand over my keyboard and "POOF"........ instant webpage.

Now....to teach the fairy to go to work for me every day.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 29th 2001#14906 Report
Flackbait: I did a search today.... (bored at work)... I couldn't find anywhere in Team Forum where Charm has ever posted any of the work he has done. Personally, I think he is just a very humble person.

Others: Are we still having this debate? For my first exhibit I'd like to present...

http://www.teamphotoshop.com/forum/vbforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=215

((BONUS: We get to go back in time and see Torn's early work!))
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 29th 2001#14920 Report
Yes, Charm has never posted any of his work other than a sig or 3. He's a bastard. I happen to believe that he knows what he's talking about though, by his critiques and lovely insights into the world of web design.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 30th 2001#14925 Report
I agree with charm. However I am in the process of learning HTML. I know enough but not everything. So if I want to know what the code is for something, I'll make it in dreamweaver, check the HTML, and memorize the code. Dreamweaver and other design software are tools, not a stand-in for education.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 30th 2001#14934 Report
Trust when I say....Charm, knows what he's talking about.

I'm not going to give up his anonymity..(He'll have to do that if and when he wants to). I have however seen some of his work and everything I've seen is quality.

Even if people tell him he is annoying, he does some kick butt illustration.

No need asking for URLs on anything....I wont give em up.
< great quote >
"If you have trouble understanding the concept, email me (with the subject "I am stupid") and I would be more than happy to explain it."
-Charm
< end great quote >

:D :D
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum