TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Flaming notepad - Defense of Dreamweaver

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Reply
Aug 1st 2001#11212 Report
Indeed. I'm not really sure if my point has been misconstrued or not, so I will continue.

I guess the reason I still use notepad/other plain text editors is because I like feeling pride in my work. I am not saying that people who use dreamweaver or any other WYSIWYG editor don't have pride in thier work, but myself, I wouldn't feel like I had accomplished anything having used a tool that does most of the work for me.

When I visualize a website layout, I see code ( not trying to sound like the matrix ). I dont see myself dragging a mouse to make a table. I don't see myself using a graphical interface, pushing buttons to make a website appear. It's not how I learned.

Some background on why I am this way. I grew up on a farm in a small town in eastern South Carolina. Every morning, I woke up to feed animals and do my other chores. During the day, I would either be in a tobacco field or a cotton field working. I was taught to work with my hands. I was also taught not to trust anything you hadn't done yourself. So a program writting a webpage for me fits into that category.

Like I said. Continue making cookie cutter designs with any HTML/WYSIWYG editor you want. But the day you chose a program for its functionality and time saving capabilities, you are going to lose something much more important.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 2nd 2001#11256 Report

I apologize. I was just having fun debating a relavent topic. I didn't mean to offend.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 2nd 2001#11264 Report
Yeah, I can see you are just going to keep coming here and turning everything I say around. Thanks for your input, but I can get the idea you are one of those people who are always right, never wrong and discussing anything with is pointless.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13340 Report
Dreamweaver can help the people design homepage as soon as quickly.......
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13359 Report
huh?
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 20th 2001#13799 Report
some people are just lazy and dont want to take the time to learn HTML by heart so they use an HTML editor to speed up the process. point and fact.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 21st 2001#13877 Report
Hmm...well, I do know HTML by heart. I can hand-code a page upside down if i chose to. But i don't. Why? Well, to start, I can do a page at least twice as fast in Dreamweaver (and I'll guarantee you my work is far from "cookie-cutter") ;) I can focus on design and aesthetics and functionality and not "where did i miss a td tag?". The project price is set price before the project begins, so the longer i spend on it the less we make. If i can do two projects with Dreamweaver in the time it would take me to handcode one that's a much nicer profit margin. Any of that aside, I'm a designer. The code is part of the process, but it's not the point of the process. When someone goes to a website they see the visuals and how it functions, not what it was written in. Focusing on your process and not your product doesn't lead to the best product. Sure, process is part of it, but it's the end result that people see.

But the day you chose a program for its functionality and time saving capabilities, you are going to lose something much more important.

So what exactly do you choose your software for?

Chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 21st 2001#13892 Report
here is my dirty little secrect...

i hand code everything i do at work (FT job, fairly large/popular website)

i use dreamweaver for everything i do freelance

why you may ask...?

my FT job = good money, high profile work

my freelance = not-so-good money, very very low profile work

my freelance clients just don't pay enough for me to put that much time and effort into it.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 22nd 2001#14010 Report
)applause

thats almost to letter how I feel about it...

you gotta PAY me to get my hands dirty
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 26th 2001#14595 Report
Responses from Axiom or archtix?

Chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum