TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

OK Guys

Page: 1 2 3 Reply
May 1st 2001#2710 Report
I think that you are using 'simplicity' as an excuse, rather than a design style. Having a minimalist design theory is one thing, but having a site like that is just a little too simple. Check out http://www.flipflopflyin.com. Now that's about as simple as it gets, and it still looks really good.

And since you are asking about functionality more than your graphics, the image maps you have for the links on the left are hard to work with. Since you just drew big horizontal rectangles around those links even though they are set at a 45 degree angle, when you have your mouse over the very top or very bottom of a link, it switches to the link above or below it even though you are still on another link.

For example, if you move your mouse to the very bottom of the "G" in Gallery, it switches to the About Me link. That's very confusing.

Also, since you require people to move from the links on the left, to the content in the middle to actually get anywhere, sometimes when you are trying to get your mouse over there, it switches to another image, then you have to go back, move your mouse over the link you wanted, and try to get back to the middle of the page without switching the links again. It's a lot like an invisible maze. Which isn't a very good way to design an interface in my opinion.

For another example, if you are trying to get to the gallery section, you move your mouse over the Gallery link on the left. The image in the center of the page switches to the gallery info. Now you have to move your mouse over to the center of the page, in order to enter the gallery. But when you do this, you accidentally move your mouse over the image map that goes with the About Me section because it doesn't match with the graphic, so you have no idea where it is. So now the image in the center of the screen goes with the About Me section. Oops. Now you have to go back and move your mouse over Gallery again, and try to get back to the info without touching the About Me section. Oops. Did it again.....

On all of your sub-pages, at the bottom, you spell Simplicity as "Simplicy".

The box in the upper right corner of your site doesn't really match with anything else. Everything else on the site is flat, then you have a perspective box up there. Why?

Now I'm sure you don't care about this, but because all of the text on your site is a graphic instead of normal HTML text, no search engine will be able to find your site, no braille readers will know what is on the site, and people that can't see very well will not be able to read anything on your site because they can't make the text bigger in their browser. It's also impossible to put a search function on your web site because their is no text. Sure none of that matters so much if it's just a personal web site, but it's just something to think about. Especially if you ever take a more advanced web design class where things like that actually matter.

Another thing about having your text all in images rather than HTML is that the only way you know that you are about to click on a link is if the cursor turns into a hand. You don't get the normal underline that has always been used to designate a clickable link. Most of your links aren't even a different color from the body text, so you have just wave the cursor back and forth over the screen until it changes to a hand so you can actually get anywhere.

If this is supposed to be a class for Frontpage, why did you use Dreamweaver to do it? If your teacher is halfway smart, he'll know it was done in Dreamweaver. But maybe he doesn't care, I don't know.

That's some of my ideas and suggestions for the site.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 1st 2001#2721 Report
No, the teacher is a SHE, and she is dumb as a doornail.

I told her I did the site in Dreamweaver, but I told her that it was because Frontpage wouldn't do the things that Dreamweaver would....she didn't care. She's not the brightest person in the world, and couldn't write a lick of HTML if her life depended on it. She doesn't even know how to add an embedded sound in Frontpage, "I" had to show the class how to do it.

Well anyways, I've got about 45 minutes to get to class, and it's an hour drive, so I've gotta' get going.

But thanks for the help guys, I'll take everything into consideration when doing the next site. (Which will be nothing like this one)

And about the rectangle slices on the nav-bar, I asked a question about it in another section of this forum, but nobody answered me, so I was stuck with what I had.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 1st 2001#2726 Report
Sitting in class now.......

Got an "A".....100%.....

That's all that mattered to me.

All the hyperlinks worked is about all she really looked at...

Hhahahahhaah.......sheesh.

I give up.

And I'm a golfer, not a web designer......I'm still pretty new with the whole web design deal....sure I've been doing it for a long time, but when I started, to me it was all animated gifs and fancy horizontal rules. Then I took about a 5-year vacation from the whole deal and got back to it about 2 months ago, but I'm picking up on it fast, especially being in here with you more advanced people.

Oh yeah, and about that being spelled wrong, it's a frame, so it's gonna' show up like that on every one.

Oh yeah again, and about why that pops up a separate window from the initial site, because of all the frames used on the page, if I didn't set the size, then the frames got all screwed up depending on if you were using 800x600 or 1024x768, and instead of redesigning the site or doing something different, I fixed the problem by making the window size fixed. And I was trying to write something in javascript so that it would close the first window without Internet Explorer asking "The site is trying to close the window. Do you want to close the window." But I couldn't figure it out, so I said "screw it," it's not that big of a problem.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum