TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

client work - new here

Page: 1 2 3 Reply
Mar 15th 2004#145445 Report
lazy, xyphen and hailmicro are still building the content into them and are going to release them as they see fit. as for xbox united im still looking for a home for that one
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 15th 2004#145447 Report
Enough of this stupid crap. (And learn to spell.)

I really dig the XBox layout except the alternating colors in the center. Make a solid color for the news entries. Also, I don't really like the menu font for some reason, it's hard to read/unpleasant to the eyes.

The Xyphen site is really cool but I would make the content font a little darker. Also, the menu text must be kerned so the letters don't collide as much. And I don't see why you need the title twice. Take out the one on the right and add something else that is unobtrusive there.

HailMicro is a little off. In my opinion it does not have the proper layout for a shopping website. Take a hint for www.ebay.com, www.apple.com, or www.pricewatch.com. The colors are not very agreeable either.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 15th 2004#145448 Report
symbiont, if you only want people who are on par or better than yourself to give criticism, then say so,

as for the sites, they works for me, xbox is the one i dont really dig, but for the target audience, i think that suits it well. it reminds me of my winamp skin ^o^

hail micro is tight, i dig the graphics, but one thing that stood out was the VISA and MASTERCARD symbols, their colors screwed your site's scheme out hehe .. i know there's nothing you can do about it, *shrug* maybe you can make it black/white ? i dunno

for xyphen, the way you arrange the colored bg boxes made it such that the top left box (with home, login and the logo) looks a lot brighter compared to the rest of the site, i would add some of the blue into that or make it darker
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 15th 2004#145449 Report
hi symbiont - welcome to the forum.

The sites - they are nice trendy designs that show your prowess and technical skill. However in my opinion your designs lack a certain amount of care for the detail. The Xbox site for instance has quite a lot of jagged edges and bad edge blending. Also I noticed in all of them - even on your personal site - the symbiontorg thing - you tend to give everything a black outer glow - a thing I personally find unpleasant as it steals focus and sharpness from stuff. Makes them "muddy" somehow. That being said - I like most of your designs and I like your personal site better than any of those designs you presented here

Also Mickey is entitled to his opinion just as you are - regardless of his technical level be it real or perceived by you. Don't pick on him just because you think you're better and he didn't automatically approve of your work. Don't take it the wrong way - you are welcome here
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 15th 2004#145450 Report
I agree with mihai on the xbox site, it's very rough and unfinished looking. All of your pixel fonts are distorted, and non-pixel fonts are aliased, making them really blocky and distorted.

As for the others... your focus seems to be on showing off how cool your graphics are, rather than actually selling products. When I go to both of those sites my eyes are constantly drawn to those little 3d renderings. I have to make an effort to focus on the prices, descriptions, etc. The Xyphen site is very difficult to read because of the low-contrast between the white background and the light green text.

And don't get all bent out of shape because someone gave you a negative critique. You posted your work on a public forum for the specific purpose of being critiqued. If you didn't want to hear from people "less talented than you" (debatable), then you shouldn't have posted it on a public forum in the first place.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 15th 2004#145452 Report
Ahh... Good ol Team PS... LOL... I've learned that you never really get a simple, "Cool looks sweet"... They always got something to be picky over.

And thats a good thing dont get me wrong. becuase There beauty in detail and no site is perfect. So yeah, I know i get annoyed with mikey's opinions too kuz he's a postwhore and he never really has anything nice to say, and if it is its only 1 or 2 words of niceness. But thats ok. becuase we should appreciate everyones opinions, I know its hard not to get emotional over it but nothing personal is ever meant by critiques, in my opinion.

As for your designs. 9.9/10. Totally wicked, i took a look at your site and you got AWESOME 3d and Interface skills... makes me jelouse. I docked ya the 0.1 becuase some of the colors showed up poorly on this crappy monitor im on in school. Im learning too that you gotta have high contast in web graphics.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 15th 2004#145454 Report
thanks phennexion
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 15th 2004#145455 Report
"Cool looks sweet" is a totally worthless reply. We actually discourage those types of replies. The point of posting something for critique is to improve on said thing, not just have your ego stroked by a bunch of one word replies. Post something in detail about why you dislike or like a piece, or don't post anything at all (in critique threads anyway).
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 15th 2004#145456 Report
--Xyphen

As far as the graphics are concerned, they are well executed and pretty clean for the most part.

But as for the website working with the graphics to sell the product, I don't really think it does the best job. Purely because, as deker said, there's too many things that draw your attention away from what we should be focusing on, that is the content (prices etc..)

If you can tone it down a bit, take away many of the distractions and put more of an emphasis on selling the products then it will serve it's purpose much more effectively.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 15th 2004#145458 Report
Well I might not be the best designer out there, in fact I'm probably considered quite a n00b next to some of you guys, but I still know when something looks ****, so if you can't take crit off me then it isn't my problem.

Anyway. I do quite like your designs, first of all. xyphen hosting is drab drab, I might be a colour whore but while your graphics are as solid as hell I'd rather be looking at ebay. The layout is perfect though, don't listen to anyone who says its unoriginal because, yeah, it is. So what? What makes a good home page does not = what makes a good corporate site. If users are familiar with that layout, which they will be, and those who haven't visited a hosting site before can identify with page elements quickly, which they can, then you've done more than your job. Whether they can identify page elements through all the grey/blue I'm not sure, but layout wise its solid.

Your HailMicro design is fairly good. The 3D is obviously outstanding but you wouldn't want to use those images on a real coporate site. The 'most popular' section is useless and space-wasting, if I'm on a hardware site and not in a hardware store, I already know what I'm there to invest £70+ in.

The Xbox United page is also good, the layout itself is perfect for that sort of site though the menus are probably a bit too big and detract from the content. The header is pretty murky, and your choice of pixel font is awful. The 'go home' and 'forums' buttons are in a really good position though, I liked those alot.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum