TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Enormous Publications

Page: 1 2 3 4 Reply
Jul 29th 2001#10627 Report
try to make an interface and the rest of site that makes someone see if he looks at that the site shows your hand drawings.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 29th 2001#10628 Report
Deker,

There are almost 150 pages on the site (so far), and every one of them has the same navbar at the top (and in some cases at the bottom) of the page. If someone gets to a random page, it's quite easy to just click on the home link to find out what's up (or on the history link for that matter). For bookmarking purposes, each page on the site is titled ENORMOUS PUBLICATIONS, followed by a subheading.

The words Enormous Publications (on the home page) explain quite a lot; that there is a publication involved, and that it's enormous.

I think this is all sufficient to prevent confusion to visitors, but if I'm wrong, let me know. Perhaps you could suggest helpful (specific) additions to the home page.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 29th 2001#10629 Report
Decta,

What?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 29th 2001#10630 Report
I think the home page is fine, and describes what the site contains. My point is that if I, personally, come to a site, I expect to see a logo, with a title, and usually a tagline under the logo giving at least some idea of what the site contains on every page without having to click on home, or about, or history, or whatever. I mean to me, it's just another click a visitor has to make before they can make any sense of the page, and that is usually a bad thing. But I mean every site is different, and every audience is different. So maybe people that come to your site will know exactly what it is, and why they are there. But that's up to you to decide. You know your audience, not me. I'm just looking at it as someone who knows nothing about the site or what you are doing with it, and I personally don't like the fact that I have to click around to find out what the site is for. But maybe most people coming to your site already know what they want, and they want it fast, so you minimized the navigation to make the content more prominent, which is a very good move, I must say. But that's just a question that you can answer, and not me.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 29th 2001#10636 Report
Yeah sorry man, forgot to explain myself by simple but they did it for me.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 30th 2001#10776 Report
Deker,

Your point about visitors being (somewhat) confused isn't without merit. On the other hand, most of the people who visit my site come directly from comic book, illustration, or pinup links, and are probably not going to have any trouble getting around.

I have Flash4, and I'm thinking that eventually my whole site may be redone in that format. For now, I'm still learning. Any further comments or ideas would be appreciated.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 30th 2001#10781 Report
Please Brad, Anything but flash. Load the site up with useless images. Build a fancy 1px beveled interface with 45 degree angles and make it 800x300 so that it takes up half the screen and your content is lost in the fuzz and guts. /sarcasm

The site is fine. Maybe do this though. Set up a stylesheet to give your links some color. Maybe distinquish your navigation a little from the page but changing the bgcolor of the table your navagation is in. Maybe make a small logo to insert on your pages. Make it 80x80, and save as a gif to optimize it.

But what ever you do, Dont do the site in flash.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 31st 2001#11003 Report
Oblivious,

I just want to make sure:

You're telling me that Flash shouldn't be used for my site?

I hope I don't sound to ignorant asking this: What exactly is a style sheet, and what does one do with (one)?
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 2nd 2001#11249 Report
!
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 2nd 2001#11254 Report
I'll answer for him......

Don't do your site in Flash!

Flash sites are designed poorly 99% of the time, and ruin the experience. (For pro-flash people, please notice that I said flash sites are DESIGNED poorly, not that flash is bad) I just wouldn't even worry about making it in flash. It breaks all of the conventions that the user is used to, and about a million other things.

Style Sheets, or CSS, or Cascading Style Sheets, are a way to define how the text on your site looks. (among a lot of other stuff) For example, instead of putting a font tag = arial, black, size 3 or whatever for every paragraph, you can just put 'style = "whatever"' and then define 'whatever' in your style sheet. Then if you decide you want to use a different font, or different color, or size, you can change it in one document, and it will update the entire site. It's very handy. Pank has a tutorial for it on the teamphotoshop.com site. There is a thousand other things you can do with CSS though. go to www.webmonkey.com and read about it.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum