TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

What to bigin??

Page: 1 2 Reply
Mar 2nd 2002#33883 Report
Ok.
I have very simple question about webpage design.

Well, it's not even that.

I'm thinking to try to learn webpage design.

However, there are alot software to offer... maybe too many for dumb like me??

I don't mind taking my time to learn anything.

However, I don't know what to begin with.
I have "OK" skill for graphics (I think:D ), I just need to know where I should start to begin.

Anyway can anyone recommend what software I should begin to learn? My goal is to be able to make flash website... (there are too many books about flash there, too! Can't even to begin to choose one)
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 2nd 2002#33891 Report
Well.. The only softwares i use is

Adobe Photoshop 5.5 and Dreamweaver 4

That's all i need for my website and php coding..
It depends on your experience with the software you use that makes the difference.

As for flash.. Pank has some recommended books on TeamPS's main site.

And for tutorials, stop by http://flashkit.com
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 2nd 2002#33893 Report
before you go stumbling blindly into flash, give html a shot. once you have a good feel for it, play with flash. both are very good resources to have. Understanding both are keys to good design.

I use Photoshop 5.5/6 and Homesite 4 for editing sites on my computer. I also use a command line (text based) editor after the site is uploaded to the ftp. I only use it for small changes.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 2nd 2002#33914 Report
I would learn some HTML and CSS first if I was you
Then try photoshop/image ready for your graphic.
But you are right, there are so many programs for webdesign.
Software I use for webdesign.
Dreamweaver and Notepad Editore.
Photoshop. Graphic
3d studio max. 3d graphic.

I have tryed many diffrent programs before i choose thes.
You can also look at this software as i did.

Flash and illustrator. Vector graphic.
Homesite. editor
Lightwave. 3d graphic

Now im looking at a program called Director, who is a animation program, for games, web, cd production.......

/Michael Knudsen
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 5th 2002#34487 Report
Thanks guys.

It was very helpful.

I guess, anything you want to start, it always come down to learn the basic first.

I will learn HTML first, from there I would be probably have better idea what direction I should go to.

When there is too many resource, sometimes it's confusing

Thanks!

Some day.... I will design kick ass webpage to impress you guys then... ( I wonder..when..? haha )
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 8th 2002#35038 Report
If you are starting out there is a lot to learn, and it can be a little overwhelming.

If you are graphically oriented and are using Photoshop now, then I'd recommend building web pages with PhotoWebber at first. It's solid, cranks out very readable HTML, and handles slicing, browser/platform probs, and a bunch of other stuff for you. You can build full pages with it.

As your skills improve, start to do more and more customization in DreamWeaver - learning forms, DHTML and then javascript. Finally, start to get fancy with PHP and/or Perl and/or CGI.

Often, the key is figuring out what you don't know in bite-size bits that you can then conquer, rather than being faced by the enormity of "How do I build an interactive, auto-localizing commerce site?"

Chris
PhotoWebber Programmer <- ( aha!.... )

http://www.photowebber.com
http://www.medialab.com
http://www.medialab.com/webmeddler
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 17th 2002#36220 Report
Dude, the best way to learn how to design a site is with two tools, Adobe Photoshop 5.0 or higher and good old Notepad! You don't want to go download a HTML editor thats going to do it all for you. If you do, you don't learn nearly as much. Start out with Notepad or an advanced text editor like EasyPad, which you can find at hotfiles.com. Also, to begin learning HTML I suggest a few sites to you. One, www.w3schools.com. It does a great job at walking you through things. Two, www.webmonkey.com. That's where I began learning the basics of HTML. And three, www.sitepoint.com. Not as good at with walking you through things like the other two site, but it has some good resources and tips! Good luck! And have fun!
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 18th 2002#36374 Report
I'd TOTALLY disagree with using a tool like Photowebber to start, nothing personal Chris. Learn HTML and figure out how to do it by hand, understand how tables work within HTML, then find something that does it for you once you understand the concepts. Trust me, you'll be much better off being HTML-literate if you're looking for a job or even just designing a site.

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 18th 2002#36398 Report
Fig, to this day I still don't understand how tables work.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 18th 2002#36463 Report
Arachnophilia

i write all of my code with charcoal on a piece of cardboard.

i think dreamweaver can help you understand what is possible with web design and html, but you should do it by hand if you want to do it right.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum