TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

My new site

Page: 1 2 Reply
May 26th 2002#50141 Report
I'm not sure if that is entirely true.
From my stats, there is still a bunch of people viewing it from 800x600. I don't design my site for that res though.

Not much to comment about the site though.

1024x768 - 4307 53.31%
800x600 - 1393 17.24%
1280x1024 - 1367 16.92%
1152x864 - 763 9.44%
1600x1200 - 182 2.25%
Other - 52 0.64%
640x480 - 15 0.18%
Reply with Quote Reply
May 26th 2002#50143 Report
thanks Sidez, i knew there were more ppl using 1024
Reply with Quote Reply
May 26th 2002#50147 Report
I don't argue that designers use higher resolutions (and *should*), but end users, you know - the folks that actually view your material on the web may not be the case. Sites I have visited recently that specialize in web statistics suggest that more users view at 800x600 than at 1024x768 and higher which would indicate that designers should still be focusing on this lower resolution for actual *delivery* of their material on the Net.

I just went through this dilemma with my last clients and they wanted some general demographics to help decide what size to make their site. Research indicates that more users are viewing at 800x600 than at 1024x768 and higher. But the gap is closing. And more user's view at 16 bit color than at 24. And suprisingly, the amount of users that have Internet connections greater than 1M bps is about the same as users who have 56K connections. These aren't hunches or opinions, these are statistics.

Here are a couple of the few sites that I did my research on to support what I am saying:

http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/stat_trends.htm

http://webdesign.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fdreamink.com%2Fdesign5.html

These sites may or may not be presenting valid information, but they *were* relatively consistent among each other. All I was asking is where you got your information that indicates quote "most people use 1024*768 screen res these days". To make such a claim would mean that you hopefully have some factual evidence to support the statement. All I was wanting is another resource to present to my clients that backs up what you are saying. I'd much rather be designing for 1024x768 delivery but I have to be able to convince my clients that that resolution is the best choice and be able to *show* them that what I am saying is factual and reliable.

Help me out here with some fresh statistic resources! I'm sure I'm not the only one who could use them!
Reply with Quote Reply
May 26th 2002#50148 Report
sidefx!

Help me out here dude! Where can I find those statistics? The sites I researched didn't indicate those numbers. I'd sure like to have those demographics available to show my clients.

Shoot us your resource!
Reply with Quote Reply
May 26th 2002#50149 Report
Another thing to remember guys is that sometimes a given demographic of viewers might be more inclined to view *your* particular site at a given resolution.

Like if your site is a clan site or gaming site for example, probably more visitors are viewing at higher resolutions. If your site is for a car dealership or restaurant, maybe the majority of visitors are viewing at 800x600? I'm sure that the *type* of site you have will dictate the type of users who visit it, which will in turn dictate the resolutions they are viewing at, if that makes sense.

Seems like a little bit of guess work along with some factual statistics would help dictate what size to make a site. Or whatever your *paying client* dictates!

It would be really great though to have a solid resource that accurately reflects current trends. I don't know if what I have found is accurate or not, but it's all I could find so if anyone has better resources than I do, share the wealth!!!
Reply with Quote Reply
May 26th 2002#50158 Report
Those were from mine.

Look, there's no point arguing or saying this res is right, this res is wrong. Its just a matter of preference. As for my point of view, 1024x768 and above for design sites and 800x600 for my corporate clients.

So case close. This is just like a discussion about which is better PC or Mac, IE or any other browser and don't bother starting on that again.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 27th 2002#50161 Report
I was just hoping to get a more clear snapshot of current demographics. Not saying at all that a specific resolution is better than another. *However* I would think that if someone were going to design a site or recommend a specific resolution, that they *might* want to research current demographic trends to at least educate themselves and make an informed decision.

BTW... here is one more site I came across with current statistics in case anyone is interested (as suggested by Lycos Web Monkey)...

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2002/April/res.php

Has browser usage, color depth, resolution, javascript capability, OS and more. Looks useful. Decide for yourself...
Reply with Quote Reply
May 27th 2002#50166 Report
I made that text for a certain reason....I enjoy how it looks cause I don't want to fancy web design like other sites out there....The web design isn't suppose to be the good part of my site...The videos are...Plus with my current time situation I don't have time to sit down and plan a sophisticated design or have the time for it....I was trying to see if someone would make a layout for me but I doubt anyone would.....If anyone is up for it then just post a reply and please tell me so cause I'm willing to go for more designs....Anyways...I have quality videos...And one of the best coders on the east coast who is going to help me out on this....I have my hands on any type of dynamic site I can come up with....So I'm going to be taking advantage of that...So the situation is rather odd...

Good videos...
Good dynamic content to come....
Need help on layout...

Layout is my only issue right now...I just hope someone can help me out...If not I'm going to be using this...And by the way the navigation bar and viewing bar are just a beta right now...I'm going to be merging them together in a certain way unless I get someone who can make me a good layout...

About the resolutions....I thought about 35-45% were still 800 by 600....I'm more of a 1024 by 768 user since those are my settings on both my pc's...But damn....15%....Hmm...I'm gonna use 1024 by 768 res now for designs....

If you are a anime fan and want to check out my works just go to www.r-anime.com , hopefully a port will be open since I got a 15 port limit at the moment on this server.....fast server though...But I recomend Final Genesis (Doesn't have much of a theme though...I made that just because of the fact that the song is MUCH like the anime....) and Enigma (My latest creation althought it is about 2-3 months old now....Gonna start on my newest video soon...Very technical...Got 2 planned but I need some more footage for the second one since it's a multi anime...

And one last thing....I spelled it Smoothe on purpose...=P....And I just realized the error with the " 's ".....Give me a break...It happens when you make this stuff at 3 am...=P
Reply with Quote Reply
May 27th 2002#50183 Report
OH MY GOD....ANOTHER AMV EDITOR HAS MADE IT IN HERE....lol
well aint that a punaner
Reply with Quote Reply
May 27th 2002#50202 Report
lol...Hey!...What's wrong with AMV Creators?...=P.....heh
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum