TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

HopeFaithandCharity.com

Page: 1 2 Reply
May 5th 2004#149722 Report
This is a client site I've been working on for about a month. It's for a Bath and Body Works type store that my wife works at. They sell lotions, pajamas, $900 bed spreads, etc. Girlie stuff.

Hope, Faith and Charity

The site is simple and clean, focusing on the products, like all my sites (and like the owner's store). The audience will primarily be women, so hopefully the design and ease-of-use will appeal to that group.

I used the Expression Engine to run the back-end, and I am highly impressed with it. I was able to do just about anything I wanted in very little time, with no programming at all. It has a fantastic template system, and because of the custom entry fields, you can pretty much have a totally custom database driven site without ever looking at a line of PHP.

The only downside to this setup is that I used PayPal shopping cart for the shopping cart part of the site. It has a few weaknesses like having to open a new window for the shopping cart, and not having a weight-based shipping feature. But it kept the costs of the site way down, and shouldn't be too much of an issue, hopefully.

But the whole site is easily updatable thanks to the ExpressionEngine. It's all searchable, updatable from an admin panel, the FAQ section is automated, the random spa tips on the right are all in the database, etc. It's very nice. Well worth the $200.

The site is all CSS/HTML, no tables or anything. And the site is already well-indexed on Yahoo because of that, in my opinion. The site is #14 for "custom scenting" which is the product she's trying to push the most, and I haven't even submitted it to engines yet, Yahoo found it somehow and added it already. Hooray for CSS!

The site is finished for the most part. There are a few things here and there that need tweaking, and I still have to add pictures to the about us gallery. But other than that it is pretty much finished. It looks mostly consistent on all the major browsers back to IE5, though there are a few little problems in 5 and 5.5, but I'm willing to live with them.

Hope, Faith and Charity
Reply with Quote Reply
May 5th 2004#149725 Report
Wow, that looks really good man... Really professional and straight forward.
The colors are really good too, calm and easy on the eyes.

One thing I noticed was that on the linens page that top photo rests too low, maybe its my browser? (mozilla firefox)
On all the other pages it works though...

An extra functionality would be that it would be possible to sort by price on every page, people always want to do that.

Really great job!
Reply with Quote Reply
May 5th 2004#149729 Report
Thanks minsers. I might do the sort by price thing, that's a good idea. Would just have to figure out where to put it.

I'll take another look at it in firefox and see what's going on.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 5th 2004#149730 Report
The linens page looks the same to me in firefox... you try refreshing or anything??
Reply with Quote Reply
May 5th 2004#149740 Report
Saw this awhile ago, seems liek you got all the bugs worked out. Great job.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 5th 2004#149741 Report
very proffesionally done. Quite impressive to see such a large site built so perfectly. Great Job.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 5th 2004#149743 Report
Looks very good, nice job with the coding. Very clean, clear, and simple. Looks good to me, great work deker.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 6th 2004#149780 Report
I did refresh it, but it was still too low.

If you remind me about it I'll look at it again tonight, when I get home.
I'm at work now, and I only have opera and internet explorer installed here, so remind me and i'll take a screenshot.

*edit*

Oh and yeah, about that sorting... what if you put text on top of the price column? That green bar? If you would put 'sort by price' there it would be perfect. That would be the spot most people look probably.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 6th 2004#149822 Report
default blue links == bad

other than that nice work

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
May 6th 2004#149829 Report
Blue links are bad for appearance perhaps, but good for usability. And since this is a pretty low-tech audience, I wanted it to be as easy as possible to know what's "clickable".
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum