TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

new design

Page: 1 2 Reply
Feb 16th 2004#142394 Report
Well, I tried something completely different this time around. I think it looks ok, but I just wanted to know if it's something I should persue or not. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

And the link: Donkey Crossing

My ideas so far:
1) The box at the top right. I'm thinking that's where a screenshot of my latest portfolio entry will be. Below that where the lorem ipsum stuff is, kind of like a caption in a newspaper, will be a very brief discription of the piece.
2) Where it says 'Latest news headlines' that's where the brief news will be. The small text below the headline is where some kind of ploy will be. It won't serve any purpose except to make it look more like a newspaper.
3) Today's destinations box. I will probably be replacing that text with something... better. That box is kind of like what you see in Sunday's newspaper with the top stories and page numbers. Instead, that will be the navigation.
4) Links box. I know there won't be nearly that many links in the end, thats just to fill space. On the final version I will most likely have buttons.
5) Oh yeah at the top where it says Sunday, February 15, 2004. I'm going to have it display the current date there like a real newspaper. What's stumping me is how i could make it look smooth like it is right now instead of the pixel type font you see on websites. Any ideas would be great on how to do that.
6) I know the size is not correct. That is due to last minute cropping to make it.. not ugly. I'm thinking of making the actual website a pop-up for that reason. Like I would have a splash page, and when you click on the enter button the site will pop up in that side. Suggestions would also be helpful for that matter.

That's about all I can think of right now. I really, really need some opinions and crits. Thanks guys :D .
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 16th 2004#142396 Report
looks like a good start. i don't remember seeing a site that looks like a news paper before. you might want to do some of your lines and text in photoshop and make it look like it was printed on the paper. it all looks too crisp right now and stuff usually bleeds on paper like that. but, keep it going though, i like it and you could do some very creative things with type in this one.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 16th 2004#142398 Report
I like it a lot. A different idea that looks good. :D Keep working on it. (Sorry this wasn't really crits, I am on my way out the door. I will find some when I get hoem)
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 16th 2004#142399 Report
So how would you suggest to make the lines and text look like ink bleeds? Guassian Blur?
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 16th 2004#142408 Report
try doing a very slight outer glow effect in black and play with different overlay modes for it.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 16th 2004#142410 Report
alright thanks kranekick, i'll post an update when that's done.

edit: Updated. Anything else?
http://www.angelfire.com/alt/myserver/dc.jpg
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 16th 2004#142417 Report
I don't really like the update to much, there are to many of those little dots on the paper, try to just slightly bleed the bold headlines text, thats all.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 16th 2004#142418 Report
i like how the ink appears to be bleeding on the update, but jm12 is right, there are too many of those black dots. just throw in 3 or 4 and only where the ink is. and do the same bleed effect to the main title.
looking good.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 16th 2004#142420 Report
I advise (strongly) against using a pop-up window for that. Remember, the whole browser window is your canvas; you're not limited to what Photoshop gives you. Examine the edges of a newspaper and mimic the frayed/torn edges that it has, and then use a subtle background texture, like drawing paper, and "place" the newspaper on top of it. That way, you can refrain from using pop-up windows and will appear as if it was a true newspaper that happens to be lying on a table top somwhere.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 17th 2004#142477 Report
Arrrgh, you kinda "stole" my idea...atleast you where first with it, but never the less, my paperidea is gone...

I think it looks like a great start, as for crit's I can only agree with Krane. I had an idea on my papersite to crumble the paper just slightly and then make certain static text crumble with it, hehe easier said then done, I know.

Mooch has a valid point aswell regarding the looks of the paper. and noone likes pop ups ;)

Patric.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum