TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Still in the works....

Page: 1 2 3 Reply
Feb 1st 2004#140285 Report
[QUOTE=supahsekzy]Yeah, but if you saw 2 sites, one called poomash and one called 2advanced, which would you click first?

chances are you'd click 2advanced first. in this case the site lured the customer in with the name. and if 2advanced is good, good enough for you, and the right price, etc etc, then the customer won't even bother looking at poomash.

You want the advantage of having people look at your site first so at least they give it a lookover before making a decision.

If you cant get someone to look at your site, how do you expect them to purchase your services?[/QUOTE]

It just doesn't start and end there. Just putting your site out there with a snappy name is NOT going to get you tons of hits. That's all I'm saying. There are some killer sites for design company's out there that can't produce what they are implying with their site. There are too many designers out there with good sites (and names) that don't get work because of subpar results. So......the name means squat without the rep behind it.

2advanced (good example and one of my favs) would get just as much work if they changed their name to poomash. Reputation and prior performance beats a trendy or flashy name anytime. Hell, they could call themselves ****BOX and STILL get work. Nothing beats word of mouth, networking through peers and clients, and good ole' target marketing for various demographics that fit the bill.

I went to 2advanced, deBauer (yes, I do like DeBauer even though they have been critisized for overdoing the AfterEffects), and all those other great design companies because I HEARD they were good, not because I thought the name was cool. In fact, 2advanced sounds a little self serving don't you think? They have the reputation to back it up though (the OTHER needed factor for success). THAT is what gets visits to a designer's site most of all. Personally, who cares about the name, let's look at that portfolio (and they'd better have one!). It would be the first link I would click at ButtMunch Designs.com, or AssCheese Graphics.net, etc.

Also, poomash may intrigue someone enough to want to see the site....ever think of that? I know it's one I would check, even just for shock value...lol Hey......wait......poomash.....hmmmmmm......has a ring to it.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 1st 2004#140286 Report
lol...POOMASH...lol
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 1st 2004#140287 Report
Again, "name your kids 2432932"? How the hell does that compare to a business name. Kids are human, businesses are not. Once again, bad comparison...

Dont' be too hung up on the name thing. Like I said, the only thing that gets you work is your reputation that you build yourself. That is the start of any success. The name becomes a part of that when it actually means or represents quality (n matter what the hell it is).

What I "don't get" is your examples that don't fit your argument. Simon Cowell is a moron by the way and so is the show...

I'm done. See you in the next thread where we disagree!
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 1st 2004#140288 Report
urbangrafix®
You can't take poomash, I have dibs! lol
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 1st 2004#140290 Report
LOL...okay you can be DIBS.....LMAO
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 1st 2004#140309 Report
I only bring my site in here when I am ready for some serious comments. Several of the people who read this forum are very talented in their own ways. To get pissed becuase people (who are better then you at this stuff) give you honest feedback is lame. You shouldnt get all touchy when people rip your site apart becuase thats EXACTLY what you wanted.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 1st 2004#140313 Report
What I "don't get" is your examples that don't fit your argument. Simon Cowell is a moron by the way and so is the show...

That wasn't my example. If you read the whole thread, maybe you would catch that.

As for my other examples, I thought they would help you guys see what I'm trying to say.

You say that for example a site's name doesnt matter as much as word of mouth. Then you're saying that I can call my grocery store "Joe's pizza" and still expect business because people round and about say that Joe's Pizza has the freshest celery in town?

How does this not compare to the websites? I call my site poomash, and people still come because the word of mouth is that poomash has some great designers on it.

I never said that a name will make up for a lack of talent or ability. I NEVER said that, and NEVER will. Your name won't get you anything if you don't have a nice site or nice portfolio which is really what people are looking for.

What I said is that your name is what is going to GET people TO your portfolio. After that the name won't matter.

And you guys also have to consider customers who know absolutely nothing about the web who wouldn't know any word of mouth at all. They would simply have to go on what is at hand.

I'm just trying to describe good business tactics here. It's not that professional to have a site name called "poomash", nor is it professional to have one called "OMGL33tHAx0rz." Even 2advanced is iffy to me, but it's not ridiculously childish and it would attract internet noobs, as well as more tech saavy people who have been around the block more than once and already know that 2A is good at what they do. It has absolutely nothing to do with the talent of your site (Though I still think it should be related to your site in some way...) it's just a business tactic to get people here.

I'm not gonna argue about this anymore. Bottom line - you guys can call your site poomash if you want. And if it gets you business then cool.

I'll be over here trying not to look like an idiot.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 1st 2004#140314 Report
That's cool man. I'm not going to argue further because frankly, it's a waste of time discussing something that seems obvious. I still don't buy into the pizza/grocery example. Urban is just a name to me. The moment I saw it, I didn't think "urban" type designs.

Both opinions are based on perspective. You should do this, you should do that, for whatever reasons.

When I mentioned that reputation is bigger and better, I didn't imply that you ignored that. I just thought that you focused too much on the naming issue. What you name your company has significantly less relevance that the work you put out. With the latter being high quality and revered, THEN the name has a place. Coca Cola started from nothing and was little known, now the name means a long history of providing a good product.......the name, trademark, and logo are now worth billions (probably too extreme of an example, but it proves my point).

So, with so many designers out there, to hell with the name. Come up with the first freakin' thing off the top of your head and spend your time on more rewarding pursuits, like establishing a reputation for yourself, so the bull**** name you picked means something. Picking a name that you think will get you more hits on your site will STILL not get you work if you suck. It starts and ends with that. So why bother stressing over that part...

I am truly done with this, it's getting ridiculous.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum