TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Flash project for school

Page: 1 2 3 Reply
Apr 5th 2001#1001 Report
i am of the school that says flash is evil. while it has its place, flash is frequently abused and used when not necessary. it is best to design for the lowest common denominator. know your audience.

*CHARM*
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 11th 2001#1432 Report
I agree with Charm. Full Flash website is as evil as the internet bubble. It dies and make your visitors pissed wif the download time. It sucks bigtime.
A hybrid is recommended.
Anyway, ur full flash thing is done with the actionscripting of
FS Command Full Screen True, Resize False, .

I think this is it rite?
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 11th 2001#1445 Report
I think it was really good, like the retina scan bit that was cool.

I think flash is one of the greatest things of all time, it takes ages to donwload simetime but isnt it worth the wait sometimes ?

But swift 3D is still better but i dont know how i can say it since its just a 3d flash basically?

But well done on the school project flash thing.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 11th 2001#1453 Report
flash is overused. how often do we see sites that could have been done in html and javascript? the reported numbers of users with flash are misleading. many sites require the latest version but most users have an older version and as a result, flash alienates the users (who assume that it should work since they downloaded and installed it or it came preinstalled on their computer).

here are the keys...

-provide non-flash content of equal value (this is the most important)

-know your audience (maybe they are techies who keep up to date with bleeding edge technology. maybe they are in a school computer lab and can't install plugins.)

-if you use flash, take advantage of it (don't make me download a plugin so i can see simple rollovers, a bunch of text and a few pictures!) wow me with things that only flash can do.

-format your flash for the lowest version number possible to reach a wider audience (this depends on the content and techniques used)

you may not care if your site works for everyone, but if your site is there to attract business or show a portfolio, you better be sure that potential clients will be able to see it. because, i can guarantee they will sooner move on to the rest of the list of potential designers before they download a special plug-in just for you.

the truth hurts, if you're scared, go to church!

*CHARM*
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 11th 2001#1469 Report
but when it comes to designing real sites on your own....

once again I agree with Charm.

Designers these days are forgetting who their lowest common denominator is, and that is just lazy design. Hybrids are the way to go, if you ask me. Use it to accentuate your sites, don't rely on it. That goes for CSS too. ;)

This is all beside the fact that I can't even get into your site, dude. The only link on that page goes to Macromedia.com and the rest is just plain text. Guess I'll move on...
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 11th 2001#1474 Report
I'll agree to an extent. If everyone always designs for the lowest common denominator then design and technology stays where it's at. No thanks

Chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 12th 2001#1487 Report
Yap.
And unless those websites are targeting only broadband users, the rest should try to make to with the current tech available.
Too bad most designers dun get this point.(Like the company that is designing for my attachment company. They suggest full-flash (read as FoolFlash) )

Tata.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 12th 2001#1489 Report
i agree with pixie (how can i not if pixie agrees with me!)

as for the comment about technology staying where its at...i don't buy that. do you honestly think that is true?

technology will never stop progressing and the general public will always be a few steps behind.

there's nothing wrong with this, that's just how it is. how many of you have a dvd player? how many of you had one a year and a half ago? (this is a rhetorical question, please don't answer)
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 12th 2001#1493 Report
Technology in general, no, it'll keep going. Technology on the web, absolutely, if no one's pushing what the products can do (i.e. folks like Praystation, the guys at Wireframe, etc.) then how is the web as a whole going to mature and get better? I'm not saying that every site needs to be Flash by any means, but it does have it's applications and as it matures as a product can do more and more (truly dynamic pages, etc.).

Flash gets a bad rap due to people who aren't that good to start with doing contentless intros that are way too big to download. I won't argue that it's not usually used well either, most of the time Flash is used for things that could be done with HTML and javascript. When used well Flash content is quick to download and does animation and other cool things very efficiently, and can create user experiences that HTML can't touch. Most folks won't have to download a plug-in to see Flash 4 content anyway, if they do need to they've been missing quite a bit and I'm glad to help them enhance their internet experience ;)

Flash certainly isn't meant for all sites, but all sites aren't meant for all viewers either.

Chris (who had a DVD player about two years ago )
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 13th 2001#1550 Report
well i think the retina scan thing was cool and if he got an A on it he deserved it. as for why is this site so important that it takes up your whole screen?? dont you find it anoying that some flash sites pop up in half size windows that just kind off look silly in the middle of the screen?? Just my opinion i guess but dotcom you go ahead and rock on!
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum