TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Mac or Windows?

Page: 1 2 3 Reply
Jun 12th 2002#52712 Report
Mac... simple

and Squid.... you can run any windows platform you want on a mac.... I've been using "virtualPC" running Win2k for over a year.

How much more flexibilty do you want? ;) :D
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 12th 2002#52714 Report
hardware flexibility and virtual pc, though runs on macs, isnt as fast as if they were to run on a regular pc, so you can't like play come games or run some software with the speed you can on a pc. maybe i'm wrong there, but i would get a mac if it weren't for some major differences that i perfer.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 13th 2002#52783 Report
heh.

this will sound weird from me cause I am more of a unix advocate than either of these two affore mentioned os's.

here would be my requirements

- 1 I would use a mac if a)I planned on making money freelancing as a graphics/web designer. b) if I could get it cheap enough that I don't regret buying it.

-2 I would use a pc if my intentions as a designer are for my own personal stuff and I leave the "work" at work.

Personally, I don't like the mac at work because it constantly hangs while converting any filetype to .pdf so that we can import it onto our printer.

I do like the fact that the mac is greatly customizable, but being a unix guy, I still don't see quite as much "tweaking" with mac's as I do with my linux/bsd boxes. Of course, I don't really care to tweak the mac at work because it freezes when I try to do anything at all.

As for claiming that mac's are easier, well, I've been using pc's for over 8 years and I honestly have never seen a real difference in ease of use. A friend had an imac. Took it out of the box, plugged it in and voila, he was on the internet. I do the same exact thing with my computer, except I have a few extra gadgets that you can't fit into an imac unless you use external devices.

Sorry, I still don't trust USB/USB2/Firewire enough to plug a harddrive into it that will contain any type of data.

Fact of the matter is, you should buy a system that is in your price range and will function the way you want it to. Mac users who claim pc's are hard, should stop asking Steve Jobs to think different for them.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 13th 2002#52805 Report
I was into Macs for a while... Never got the money to buy one... But I was a big fan for a while. But now I say **** 'em. And opera, and standards compliant code too.

Just installed Windows XP today... it's pretty great. Plugged in my digital camera that I haven't been able to get to work for months, even with drivers from the company, and WinXP set it up for me and politely told me when it was finished.

It also had internet access the first time it booted up. It set it up all by itself somehow.

It's very easy to use... Lots of neat features. You can email just about anything to anyone from anywhere, with the click of a mouse.

You can also burn things directly to a CD from explorer, resize pictures from explorer, publish files to a web site from explorer, etc. It's sweet.

I don't really see the point in the mac anymore. For me at least. I like to play games... and that just isn't very possible on the Mac.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 13th 2002#52820 Report
Good for you, deker. I've been on XP for about two months and I just love it. Had a few problems in the beginning with drivers and updates due to old hardware in certain cases. But after that being solved, it has worked perfect. I've almost tried Mac out 'cuz of win -98 (!!!!) but now I'm glad I didn't put in the time and money 'cuz this just works perfectly. I never thought I would say this: Way to go Microsoft....(...even now it tastes bad in my mouth...)
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 13th 2002#52829 Report
Well, thank you for all of these advices, i will buy a PC.. Just saw mac's price... $2000... eh.. okay, i DONT really have that kind of money, if i would have $2000 i wouldnt buy it because i play games sometimes, and allso like to make graphics, so solution would be PC..
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 13th 2002#52834 Report
you can get a hell of a lot of games for the mac.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 13th 2002#52851 Report
rephrase that

you can get a hell of a lot of 'old' games for the mac.

half life - old
quake series - old

Of course, some of the later titles that came out this year had mac versions. Lucky you.

Too bad all of the games most of us already have are for PC's. Which means, if I wanna use a mac, I gotta buy all new software packages from photoshop to my games.

Yeah, when I can build a pc for 500 bucks and put windows on it for less than the price of mac os x, I will definatly stick with a pc.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 19th 2002#54006 Report
Well, I guess we all try to make the right choice. I choose Windows 2000, because it's stable and most of all; I have way more choices what kind of software I can use than when I would use a Mac and so I also have more choices when it comes to price, information and exchangebillity. But I do agree with the others; if you're mainly focussed on graphics, then a Mac is the best choice.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 24th 2002#54861 Report
your filter might be running slow if your lacking ram
for example when I try to apply a filter on an img @ 400dpi
it takes forever because I only have 128megs of ram.. thats when it lets me
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum