TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

ok so i need help shopping for a laptop...

Page: 1 2 Reply
Apr 19th 2002#42893 Report
ya he got good info, except that he didnt mention that Celerons suck for graphics and gaming...

well i think i decided on a final desktop i want to make.....

AMD XP 1900+

512 DDR

50 GB Hard Drive SCSI

CDRW - 40x12x48

DVD - 16x

ATI 8500 LE 128mb

sound blaster live platinum

dont know about the motherboard yet...

and umm it will all run on my 19 inch screen, and ill be buying a 27 inch SHARP flat tube tv soon....

and umm, oh ya and this is the case im gonna use...

and umm thats about it =)

oh ya and ill run linux in WinXP at the same time, its fun =)
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 19th 2002#42894 Report
and ill buy another vid card soon so i can have TV in, but i wont do that until i get a DVDRW, which wont be until late summer... =(
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 20th 2002#43046 Report
I will repeat it incase you didnt catch it the first time.

Celeron's do not suck for graphics and gaming. They have the exact same instruction set as the P3's. The only difference is mainly onboard cache.

The first computer I ever built was a Celeron 500 with 256mb ram and a voodoo 3 3000. I played quake 3 on it at 800x600 with no issues. Of course, being the avid tweaker I am, I used low-quality sound, no ejecting brass and I turned off shadows along with anything else I didnt need.

Later on, I switched the celeron out for a p3 550 and ended up putting the celeron back in because the p3 did 2 things I do not like.

1- It overheated no matter how much cooling I applied. My system temperature was way to close to the heat threshold.

2- It booted slower and applications lagged.

On the other stuff. I am not sure about Linux's support for that video card. Perhaps you want to check out www.xfree86.org under their supported hardware before you go installing linux to find out you can only use console.

btw. If you are running linux/xp dual boot...go for it. you can learn alot about your computer from linux. if you are planning on running some thing like lindow...I giggle in your general direction.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 20th 2002#43060 Report
#1 its easy as hell to run linux in a window in XP, it will be a slight change but not much, im used to my UNIX box, but Linux and XP are cool as hell together, Lindows is a joke....

also remember im doing film, a celeron wont do sh*t for me because of the low cache, as of now im just getting a simple AMD XP 1800+ but in a few months ill buy a Xeon =) hell ya!!!!!!!!
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 20th 2002#43078 Report
I would stick with the xp honestly. Xeons are nice and all, but you set yourself up a dual XP box...smoothies.!
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 20th 2002#43079 Report
Panda: understand I mean no offense; but I must (humor imparitive) point out the crunch you are feeling on your wallet... as evidenced by the following:

ill prob. go with a AMD XP 2100+

well i think i decided on a final desktop i want to make.....

AMD XP 1900+

as of now im just getting a simple AMD XP 1800+

Been there... done that.... ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 20th 2002#43086 Report
well i was looking at the AMD XP 2100+'s but after much consideration, i have decided i need a bit more then just a 2100, im buying a better motherboard, a bigger case with a larger power supply and more fan space, a SCSI hard drive, and the sheer fact that ill need more money for when i buy a Geforce 4 this summer, but for now ill have a Geforce 3, then at the end of the summer i will replace it with a 128mb Geforce 4 with tv in and tv out, then ill add a Geforce 2 card so i can dual monitor, my TV set up will only be a mirror image =(

i just cant afford that extra buck for a 2100

next year ill buy the new AMD Hammer =) hell ya!!!!!!
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 20th 2002#43087 Report
i need the rest of the money i have for a few more peices of equipment, like a new camera, a 27 inch SHARP tv, and ill be traveling....so...i cant waste all my money on a desktop, i gotta be a bit aware of what im doing, the system i have set up now will run me around $1200, ugh i hate spending money =(
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum