TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

ok so i need help shopping for a laptop...

Page: 1 2 Reply
Apr 16th 2002#42267 Report
im looking at laptops now, got any suggestians in the 1000-1500 buck area? im looking at Sony's, Gateway's, and HP's

also does anyone know anything about

Intel®Celeron® Processor,1.06 GHz

there cheaper then the Mobile Pentium®III Processor,1.0 GHz

but i heard Celerons are crap, know anything?
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 18th 2002#42826 Report
Yep, Celeron is total crap...Almost. It's way cheaper in pricing, but then you loose it in performance. A Duron is not good either, cheaper. Athlon is best. Or why not PIII ? Both Athlon and PIII is great.....Go for as much RAM you can afford....That is a winner in the longrun.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 18th 2002#42829 Report
thanks, i chaned my mind, im building a video editing desktop instead...but thanks... =)
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 18th 2002#42834 Report
Yep, Celeron is total crap...Almost. It's way cheaper in pricing, but then you loose it in performance. A Duron is not good either, cheaper. Athlon is best. Or why not PIII ? Both Athlon and PIII is great.....Go for as much RAM you can afford....That is a winner in the longrun.

Before giving someone bad advice, know what you are talking about.

1- Celerons have been shown to outperform some intel cpu's of equal or greater speed. Of course, these systems where all tweaked the maximum. Loss of performance? Not as much as you think. You won't really notice all that much. Infact, my celeron 500 used to run a lot smoother than my pIII 550.

2- Durons are nothing more than a low-end athlon. It will perform just as well because both cpu's have the same instruction set. Infact, both cpu's are exactly the same size, shape. Infact, if you could figure out how to turn on part of the chip that AMD turns off on the durons, you would have an Athlon.

3- There is no "better" chip anymore. This war between processors has ended once the Ghz barrier was smashed. Notice that in the past 18 months, processor speed has only doubled once. By now, we should be in the 4 or 5 ghz range on the desktop but they have developed too fast. Now we are going to have a different method of building faster cpu's. Silicon can only be driven so far, Hence the coppermine chips. Copper can only be made to a certain size. I think the last one was 10 or 11 microns.

So if you are buying a laptop, I am assuming that portability is what is most important. But the one that weighs the least, has the smallest footprint but still has all the features you want. In this day and age of customization, there is no reason to not have a 1/2inch thick laptop with all the gadgets you want.

My laptop is 3/4 of an inch thick. It has a celeron 500, 256 mb ram, internal floppy, internal dvdrom/cdrw, usb/firewire, 15inch viewable screen. And it runs windows xp smoothly.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 19th 2002#42851 Report
nah there is a diffrecne between a AMD XP and p4, each is for a diff. usage, AMD's are gaming pross. and P4's are for large ****, but if you really want to play the game with the pros, go for a 1ghz G4 or wait for a G5, hell ya =)

i cant wait for G5's =)
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 19th 2002#42853 Report
I'd still go for a AMD XP rather than a P4 though. I'd rather go for a PIII than a P4........ :D:D:D
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 19th 2002#42856 Report
well a P4 is good for film editing....it renders faster, dont ask me why, it just does....
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 19th 2002#42860 Report
The instruction set's for both cpu's are different. The comparison is raw processing power. On a typical, untweaked system, you wont notice a huge difference between the two. The AMD will outperform the p4 to an extent but without the proper hardware combination and system tweaks, you won't see an unbeleivable difference.

If you are building a laptop to do film editing, you dont need a laptop.

On the otherhand, for a desktop pc, I would pick an AMD over an intel any day. But that's because AMD meet's the needs I have in benchmarks. Pentiums are primarily business based cpus. Business apps tend to perform better, faster and more stable on them. On the other hand, AMD performs better for 3d Applications.

So instead of saying "this one sucks" because it doesnt say Athlon or Pentium, judge it based on your needs.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 19th 2002#42864 Report
ill prob. go with a AMD XP 2100+
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 19th 2002#42891 Report
Ax is just floodin' this thread with info.... I'm almost overloaded. Solid advice, facts, no inuendo. I'm going to look for a strainer so I can sift thru all this sand and pan for gold!!!!
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum