TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Linux questions (will these programs run on it?)

Page: 1 2 Reply
Jul 16th 2002#59187 Report
I come to the conclusion after searching the net for various things that it's very tricky to dual boot Linux and Windows XP. Is this true?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 16th 2002#59201 Report
mine works just fine hunk. install xp first, linux next.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 16th 2002#59230 Report
Ax, I have a 40 gig hard drive, and I only partitioned 28 gigs for Windows XP (C, the rest is unpartitioned. Now, would I use Disk Druid to partition the remaining 12 gigs of space and install Linux over the new partition?

On a side note, does anyone know of walkthroughs for installing RedHat linux on unpartitioned space with XP as the primary OS?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 17th 2002#59312 Report
first, your question:

http://windows.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.enterprisedt.com%2Fpublications%2Fdual_boot.html

It is a walk through for dual booting linux and win2k. Since win2k and Windows XP are so similar (they are both based off of NT5), the tutorial should work. Of course, BACK UP YOUR DATA before starting the walkthrough.

Secondly.

If you have such a large drive and you have already partitioned it with one 28 gig windows xp partition and the other is unformated, unpartitioned space, yes, just use disk druid. Personally, I am not a big fan of disk druid. I tend to use fdisk ro cfdisk that comes with slackware. If you are using redhat, it doesnt have cfdisk, only fdisk and it can be quite archaic. Just be carefull and read read read.

One thing you should be aware of, if you are using NTFS on your windows xp partition, what ever you do, DO NOT TRY TO WRITE TO THAT PARTITION FROM LINUX. While development for clean, reliable NTFS partitions within linux is heavily underway, it still isn't reliable enough with today's kernels. In other words, if you have any doubts, do not give your win xp partition a mount point when setting up partitions.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 17th 2002#59409 Report
Thanks for the info. Axiom!
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum