TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Linux questions (will these programs run on it?)

Page: 1 2 Reply
Feb 26th 2002#33256 Report
my school is thinking of teaching a linux course next year and i wanted to get a jump start and put it on my computer, but only thing is, do these programs run on it?

Photoshop 6
Golive 5
Flash Director

anyone have a clue?
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 26th 2002#33265 Report
None of them do. Only linux programs work on linux. And the only real image editor is the GIMP. And there is a 3d program called Blender. Other than that there really isn't any kind of design software at all. Linux isn't a very good OS to use if you are a designer. Because it's very complex, and there are no design programs... you'd be better off with mac, or even a windows machine. But if you want to learn linux and still design, just dual-boot your computer so you can play in linux but then still design stuff.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 28th 2002#33600 Report
thanks, i was considering a mac also (ebay is great for computers :D, about $400 off for a ibook) i cant dual boot my computer for some reason, we already tried it, i need another motherboard or hd according to linux.com
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 4th 2002#34321 Report
Actually I believe some version of PhotoSHop will run on Linux under "WINE" which you may read and download @ http://www.winehq.com. I haven't tired the rest I have tried Photoshop 5.5 and it run perfectly under linux just as if it was a real linux program.

There alaays ways around a problem just have to think about it and try and try again till you figure it out

Also another way is to get VMWare and emulate windows within linux which might be the better solution instead of dual booting. I use both VMware and WINE. You can check out vmware @ http://www.vmware.com

Good Luck! If you need any help on anything let me know ...
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 4th 2002#34323 Report
Originally posted by James-Trublast
thanks, i was considering a mac also (ebay is great for computers :D, about $400 off for a ibook) i cant dual boot my computer for some reason, we already tried it, i need another motherboard or hd according to linux.com
Dual booting ... you can dual boot from any computer as long as you have it setup right. linux.com might say no but you can ... like i said there is always a way around it. If you need help with that let me know I be glad to help you.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 29th 2002#38011 Report
Dual booting will require 2 seperate harddrives, or also, 2 seperate partitions on a harddrive.

All computers can dualboot, with (as far as I know) any 2 operating systems.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 29th 2002#38025 Report
Not just two, if you have multiple HDs, you can boot 4 OSes even
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 29th 2002#38027 Report
Well yeah, but I'd stick to 2, especially if he is having problems doing ANY dual/multiple booting.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 16th 2002#59109 Report
its al really about the boot sector ordering and how you setup lilo, or boot manager, etc.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 16th 2002#59116 Report
why run a windows/mac program in linux using an emulator when you just could normally with your normal computer?!?
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum