TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Mac os x issue (overwriting files)

Page: 1 2 Reply
Mar 29th 2004#146625 Report
I notice when I am working if I save a file to an area that already has the same file (I am overwriting it) all the finder windows close... Is this a bug? Basically you can't overwrite a file without windows closing. Sometimes it is fine if I just do one file but if I am in Photoshop or doing a lot of overwrites it seems to bug out. Any ideas?
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 10th 2004#147648 Report
Replying here just to float it to the top and let you know I'm paying attention. I missed it before. I'll investigate and get back to you.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 10th 2004#147650 Report
Somehow I knew Big Daddy Mac would come to my rescue ;)

And yes I am running 10.3.3
And it still happens...
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 10th 2004#147674 Report
By-the-by, Bob...what version of Photoshop are you primarily using?

Still no version 8 for me yet, so I will only be able to test up 7.0.1. And yes, I'm running the newest 10.3.3 will all updates.

Can't get to it right now, gotta crash. Early appointment tomorrow.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 10th 2004#147675 Report
Actually this is not a PS issue...

It's a general file issue.

Example...
I have a folder backed up with 20 files inside. I go to overwrite the original files in the folder becasue I screwed something up. I get the promt asking me if I want to overwrite the existing files.

I choose yes to all. It copies them as best as I can tell then all the open finder windows close and all open program windows minimize.

Goofy...
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 10th 2004#147727 Report
I hate to be a P.I.T.A. Bob, but write out a bulleted step-by-step, reproducible process for me to follow..

I've tried, but whatever is happening to you—as far as I understand you— I can't get it to happen. And just FYI, I'm running Photoshop 7.0.1 in Classic (9.2.2) so that I have access to legacy plugins. Have you tried disabling all 3rd-party plugs and extensions? Since you haven't mentioned which version of Photoshop, if you're running Photoshop 8.0, I can't very well ask you to try the same thing in Classic. If 7.0.1, then try the same thing in both Classic Mac OS and Panther.

I'm geek-curious, and want to help you solve your problem.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 11th 2004#147745 Report
This is not a Photoshop issue, it is a OS X issue.

Step 1.
I have a file folder called abc. Inside of abc I have 30 files. The folder is on my desktop or anywhere else.

Step 2.
I have a backup or clone of folder abc. All of the files are the exact same as the first folder in step 1. This folder is in a different spot than the first folder in step 1.

Step 3.
I take all of the files inside of abc in step 1. then copy them.

Step 4.
I go to the abc folder location in step 2 and open it.

Step 5.
I paste the files into the abc folder.

Step 6.
The prompt box comes up asking me if I want to overwrite the files.

Step 7.
I say yes.

Step 8.
Regardless of whether or not I choose "yes to all" or overwrite them one by one every time the promt box comes up when I get done all of my finder windows close.

It's just a pain in the ass. I have to go back and open up the folders again if I am working in them.

Like I said . This has nothing to do with Photoshop. Just OS X.

Thanks.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 11th 2004#147747 Report
You're doing a "Command + C" copy of those 30 files, expecting them to be cached in OS X's clipboard, then "Command + V" Paste of those file from folder "abc1" to folder "abc 2?" I don't think it should happen, but maybe you're overloading the clipboard?

Have you tried selecting all the files from folder "abc1" and dragging them to folder "abc2?"

::I'm still trying to replicate the problem. Keep offering more info and details about what you might have tried and if you notice any differences in results::
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 11th 2004#147750 Report
That sounded logical so I just did the drag and drop to overwrite...

Same deal. I also just noticed that all of teh desktop icons disappear for a moment when the finder windows close as well.

I have apple care. I should just give them a buzz some day and see what they think. But then again it may be something simple.
Thanks µ...
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 11th 2004#147752 Report
Ok. I "think" I found the issue. It is Shapeshifter...

When I turn Shapeshifter off and do the same thing here is what happens.
I copy and past all the files/
The finder windows disappear again/
But then re-appear after a second....

It's almost like my desktop "blinks" for one second. With Shapeshifter on it just does not open back up after the blink.

Thanks U.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum