TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Mac for graphics: Why is it better?

Page: 1 2 Reply
Dec 15th 2003#133567 Report
I have read some posts that have brushed by this issue while discussing other things, though I'm new here and I apologize if I have missed a nice in depth answer to my question... but I am just curious:

I get allot of people that kind of scoff at me when I say I use PC for my design work, I mainly use photoshop and Flash- also Illustrator, fireworks, etc... But they all give me this shpeel about how Mac is the "industry standard for graphics" though they never really explain why. I work in the graphics department of a rising optics company, and I use a pc while the others (the photographer and web guy) use mac. I haven't seen what the big deal is.

Allot of companies when we send them files they need Mac versions, etc. Will this be a big problem for me as i use a PC or is conversion not a huge deal? I want to know these things early in the game if it will be imperative I talk th ebiss into getting me a MAc too.

So I guess, my question is- Why is Mac supposedly so much better for graphics? And am I really such an impudent fool for using a PC as many designers (very bad designers mind you, not that has to do with anything) instead of Mac?

please help.

-eef
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 15th 2003#133571 Report
They are pretty much completely compatible these days. There are no real technical reasons to go with either as far as graphics go. Except the Mac does have better color management for printing. Yes, it most likely will help you in the future to know Macs, because if you want to work in an all-Mac design shop, one of the requirements will be that you have to know Macs. Yes they are the industry standard in pretty much every creative industry. That doesn't mean there aren't PC users that are designers. There are of course thousands of them.

Really it boils down to preference. It used to be different than that with compatibility issues, etc. But today they are compatible for the most part.

I used Windows for all my life until my eMac I got a month ago and my 12" PowerBook that comes tomorrow, and I personally love them both. They have changed the way I think about computers and what I expect from them. It's depressing to come in to work every day and have to use Windows. At least that will change tomorrow, finally.
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 15th 2003#133573 Report
And if you want more specific info,

http://www.teamphotoshop.com/forum/vbforum/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=41928&sortby=&sortorder=

This has been discussed quite in depth before. Just read through a few of those threads. There are a few lengthy ones on the second page of results. Like the "does the G5 make sex better thread".
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 16th 2003#133674 Report
Whatever you want. It's a matter of personal preference.
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 17th 2003#133943 Report
thanks a ton guys
-eef
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 17th 2003#133963 Report
to elaborate a bit, its not really "whatever you want", professionally speaking you're probably in better shape if you use a mac. not because they're "better" or anything else, simply because they are the industry standard. stuff like photoshop, illustrator, etc. was initially developed for the mac and eventually ported over to the pc as well. when the only option was a mac and you wanted to design or print something, you chose a mac they became ingrained in the print and publishing industries and developed a brand loyalty which is still very evident today.

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 18th 2003#133996 Report
especially if you are going to go to design school get a mac, for example, typefaces.

No fun having to get the pc version too when you school uses mac, thats what my buddy is hating.

cheers,
Michael
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 18th 2003#134001 Report
Most Pro use Mac....

Bu thisis changing...

The main reason than Mac is the standard is the many years ago the best creative tools where desing for mcs and often mac only...

But todays its only a mather of personal taste...

Todays the real reason we still talk about MAC VS PC is just for the fun of flaming eachothers ;)

But be warned, lost of Mac user are radical religous toward their MAC
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 18th 2003#134012 Report
Mac users are passionate about their computers because they are so friendly and easy to use. The become a part of the family rather than a dumb grey box... But anyway... no point in going there... Just thorougly research both the mac and pc, don't take someone's word for it. chances are the system they put down is the one they've never/rarely used...
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 18th 2003#134054 Report
Ok well how about this... I am more used to PC cause as a freelance designer I always used a dell- that's what I am on now where I am working. But I did use mac's for 4 years when I was doing graphic design at a small graphics company. The only difference I honestly noticed with there macs was they always seemd to crap out on me, but they were older machines too, so I cant say I have had the ideal mac experience. I just, from my experience don't see what e big deal is...

But, tell me if this is a dillema- The company I just got hired by as graphic designer has teamed me with there "web guy" and "photographer" and we are all supposed to be designing a catalog together. They both have macs, yet they gave me a pc when I got my job here. Is that gonna cause a million problems, and should I tell my bosses I need a mac for that... it seems so.

I am not real keen on computers, and as much work as I have done using hem, still have never actually owned one personally- though I use one almost every day. Thanks for all your help.
-eef
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum