TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Blocked Ports

Page: 1 2 3 4 Reply
Feb 19th 2003#91450 Report
What is blocking it is probably the firewall built into the router. Just be careful, it takes next to nothing for someone to hack into your standard windows box, there are all sorts of active services that run by default. If you plan on using some kind of broadband/baseband isp service and dont have an around the clock security, then get some programs that monitor your port activity adn dont leave your computer running when you are gone for any length of time.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 19th 2003#91455 Report
Are you using any firewall protection software on your PC? Also, if you're using Windows XP do you have the firewall enabled?
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 19th 2003#91475 Report
i dont run XP or a software firewall and he doesnt have his xp firewall enabled. I will soon be upgrading to XP pro though
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 19th 2003#91485 Report
I'm just curious to know how the two of you attached to each other outside of the local home without going through the router. I'm not really into playing games online. Anyhow, you might have to go through a server or I'm wondering if your friend had a static ip address and somehow it was changed in your game config.

Here's a link that's talk about the popular games and how to setup and online server.

http://www.gameadmins.com/modules.php?name=Sections
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 19th 2003#91493 Report
I am not sure about game servers, but back when we used to play Unreal1 we had to set up an Unreal server outside of the Router to get it listed.

What they had before was a Lan party and then they all took their computers back home and he wants to keep that LAN feel, but over the net. Problem there is you can make it so its anyone who sees your IP, it'd be their LAN as well, which is bad. Unless you dont mind the script Kiddies having fun on your computers as well.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 20th 2003#91792 Report
i dont want to keep the lan feel at all really. We just want to be able to transfer files through the internet. I dont want to be able to access his comp. Just want to be able to send files through msn and if he hosts an online game server so a bunch of my clan mates can play i can never connect to it
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 20th 2003#91793 Report
You will have to search for the game you play and setting up a server with a router. There should be plenty of help on the net.

As far as file sharing, try some of those VPN software and see what you can come up with. But just remember you're using a Dynamic IP more than likely and you will have to configure it so it will work. Also the Router will have a setting that will have to be enabled so that VPN can happen.

What game are you talking about and also what is the model of the router?
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 20th 2003#91797 Report
neither of us are using the router anymore though lol. We only use it when we want to have or home network. Im talking about counter-strike, command and conquer generals, black and white, bf1942. Neither of us uses the router any more. We cannot connect to each other through a standard internet connection
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 20th 2003#91800 Report
If your friend doesnt have a router, or a firewall active, then he should check to make sure his server settings are correct. Does it need some type of uplink? Can you see his server? If so does it not let you connect?
You should be able to connect easily without any port protection. The Router is hardware I am assuming, so that wont change any settings on your computer so if you remove it from the chain it wont block anything anymore. If you are running DHCP then when you add a router you only have to set the router. So that should answer your blocked port issue.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 20th 2003#91806 Report
then i am thoroughly puzzled. When he makes a server others can see it and join and i cant even see it.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum