TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Gamers Graphics?

Page: 1 Reply
Jan 19th 2007#175975 Report
What's up fellas? Everytime I go to the game section at a store I just stare at the covers of those gaming box covers. Awesome graphics.

I'm currently going to work on a little promotional poster and was wondering if any of you knew of any sites that actually had galleries for the artwork of those covers and/or tutorials or tips on creating gaming artwork.

I'd really like to get into researching some of those tips, especially creating backgrounds. Any ideas, I'd appreciate the help.

Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 20th 2007#175986 Report
I'll see what I can dig up for ya.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 20th 2007#175987 Report
Thanks for the help man. I did find a dude on flickr that has gamer wallpaper pictures which he gets from Game Wallpapers but they're only the images. I'm looking for the complete covers with the typography and all.

I'd like to see something like this movie poster site that has an archive of movie posters, but instead would want to see covers of the games and enlarged for detail to see what they're doing.

I just got back from the store and was in the video game section looking at all the artwork. Who knew places like Wal-Mart, Target, or GameStop would actually start seeming like a museum for graphic artists.

While at the store I was looking at Game Informer Magazine to see if they had any sites listed, but didn't find anything in there.

So, I'm hoping to find something soon. I've also been to good-tutorials.com and I'm interesting in learning how to really make a blast of light. Kind of like the machines in those games firing the guns. I like the blue effect over the red/orange/fire type.

Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks again for your reply, and I'll keep looking as well.

Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 20th 2007#175990 Report
Actually I may be able to get you some fullsize 'packshots' ... Just let me know the game name or a selection and I'll see if I can get them.

I have uploaded two examples here:
http://www.teamphotoshop.com/images/Halo2_Final_Standard_2D.jpg
http://www.teamphotoshop.com/images/gears_packshot.jpg

The site I get these from is gamespress.co.uk but, usually, you have a games website to be able to login or member of the press.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 20th 2007#175991 Report
Rich,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not looking for any game in particular, just anything that is graphics intense but clean designs as well. Anything in the sports industry, like NBA 07 or Auto Racing, and/or Military stuff like what you posted.

I'm not really into sci-fi unless it has cool graphics, and in most cases I like to look at the typography and the backgrounds to see how they get certain effects.

At this site there are (3) race cars up top and you can view the wallpapers. I really like the motion, the burst of light/nitro coming from the exhaust in the second picture and so on.

But then again, anything like Socom or Resistance is good as well. I've never been much of a gamer and would like to get into it, but for now I'm just intrigued by the graphics.

Are most of the cover shots from the game, and are the images created in a 3D program? Basically how much of Photoshop is involved and any other software to achieve the results?

Thanks again for the help, I look forward to any replies.

Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 25th 2007#176037 Report
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 25th 2007#176043 Report
Rich,

Thanks for the images. I like them all but the first one really caught my eye which is located here:
Game Cover

When I look at the details of the shadows, and the crop of the main image up front and the glare of the jewelry, it really catches my eye. I also like the way that the texture was caught on the shirt itself along with the texture on the coat of the suit.

It's those details that i'd like to know how they are accomplished along with giving the background images a type of matte finish. I see Eric Jordan of 2Advanced.com really get into giving the images that matte finish, almost like it's slightly painted on.

I've tried many ways around working with images but for some reason can't get the desired effect. I have a high reosolution image I'm working with and will be posting another post in another part of the forum where it is appropriate.

But again, thanks for the images, they will come in handy.

Okay I posted my other question in the appropriate section, you can view it here and hopefully some guys can help me out with this. Thanks for your time: http://forum.teamphotoshop.com/showthread.php?p=176044&posted=1#post176044

Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 4th 2007#176170 Report
I'm back with yet more questions on the gamers graphics. I went to Toys R Us today with my niece and then we stopped by the game section and I saw some display posters.

Does anyone here know where I can get some of these display posters in good condition, and I'm willing to PayPal for a reasonable price. The display poster I saw was for Forza 2 and it was appealing to my eye for some reason.

I asked the guy at Toys R Us what they did when they swapped them out and he said they were up for grabs, but that most of the employees grab them. It looked like it was a 14" x 14" square print on display, and they had three of them.

So I'm wondering where, or if any of you guys know how I can get them, if you work at a game shop or a store that has a game dept. or something like that. I already checked eBay and they have larger posters, but I really like racing themes.

Thanks for any help in advance and I look forward to some replies.

Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum