TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Team Photoshop Site Design Competition Thread!

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Reply
Sep 24th 2005#170550 Report
Ok, I've got a couple different versions of the same overall design. The design isn't done, but I pretty much know how the layout id going to continue. You can mostly get the "big picture" impression from these though.

Version 1
Version 2
Version 3
Version 4

My Main idea was that if this site's main purpose is to be a user-managed site (ie. content for the community, by the community) then it seems that we should want to showcase exemplary work by the forum's users foremost on the mainpage, rather than tech news. Tech and industry news should have a place on the mainpage, but just not as the first and only content, as it exists now.

Being that there are already a million or so tutorial websites out there, a different approach might be to post more resources discussion the theory and practice of design and art, rather than simply a step-by-step tutorial. Kind of the teach a man to fish principle. Granted, tutorials could still have a place, but not as the sole purpose of this site.

The site that I think most informed the design of my template is CGSociety.org which has an enormous amount of content all based on it's users own work. It's a genuine community in that they address issues that specifically pertain to all aspects of the graphics industry. Whereas they address film and video game related design, TeamPS should similarly address Web and Print Design. Miscellaneous tech information is on that other website as well, but the main thrust is computer graphics, as likewise it should be here.

Anyway, I'm probably going to finish up tonight. I'm trying to address what should be showcased, rather than how it will be showcased. The design kind of makes itself once the priority of the content is solidified.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 26th 2005#170577 Report
With there only being 2 people having time to work on a new design, I almost think we should extend the deadline. It sounds like it's just a bad time for everyone right now and no one has a second to do much of anything, or they already have prior obligations that they have to fulfill before they can move on to something else.

Just a thought. Personally, I know I am totally swamped with other stuff, but would really like to continue working on my mockup that I have started. I simply don't have the time with school and some clients.

I just want to see the site at its highest potential and there are a lot of tallented people here who just don't have the time right this moment. Nothing against rodder's or pganguly's designs, I just think the site could only benifit from more people being able to work on it.

Just my 2 cents I suppose.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 26th 2005#170579 Report
teamphotoshop Blue

Here is my entry.

enJoi
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 26th 2005#170589 Report
[QUOTE=x_fusiun_x]With there only being 2 people having time to work on a new design, I almost think we should extend the deadline. It sounds like it's just a bad time for everyone right now and no one has a second to do much of anything, or they already have prior obligations that they have to fulfill before they can move on to something else.

Just a thought. Personally, I know I am totally swamped with other stuff, but would really like to continue working on my mockup that I have started. I simply don't have the time with school and some clients.

I just want to see the site at its highest potential and there are a lot of tallented people here who just don't have the time right this moment. Nothing against rodder's or pganguly's designs, I just think the site could only benifit from more people being able to work on it.

Just my 2 cents I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Well you can still enter today (even if it´s a incomplete version - you can PM me with it if you want), but the competition closes at the end of today. I think there has been plenty of time for people to enter, so I´m not going to extend the deadline, it would not be fair on the people that have already entered.

I´ll post who won tomorrow.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 26th 2005#170590 Report
[QUOTE=Pganguly]Ok, I've got a couple different versions of the same overall design. The design isn't done, but I pretty much know how the layout id going to continue. You can mostly get the "big picture" impression from these though.

Version 1
Version 2
Version 3
Version 4

My Main idea was that if this site's main purpose is to be a user-managed site (ie. content for the community, by the community) then it seems that we should want to showcase exemplary work by the forum's users foremost on the mainpage, rather than tech news. Tech and industry news should have a place on the mainpage, but just not as the first and only content, as it exists now.

Being that there are already a million or so tutorial websites out there, a different approach might be to post more resources discussion the theory and practice of design and art, rather than simply a step-by-step tutorial. Kind of the teach a man to fish principle. Granted, tutorials could still have a place, but not as the sole purpose of this site.

The site that I think most informed the design of my template is CGSociety.org which has an enormous amount of content all based on it's users own work. It's a genuine community in that they address issues that specifically pertain to all aspects of the graphics industry. Whereas they address film and video game related design, TeamPS should similarly address Web and Print Design. Miscellaneous tech information is on that other website as well, but the main thrust is computer graphics, as likewise it should be here.

Anyway, I'm probably going to finish up tonight. I'm trying to address what should be showcased, rather than how it will be showcased. The design kind of makes itself once the priority of the content is solidified.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the entry. I like your ideas for the content of the site, but at the moment it is hard enough to get people to enter a competition with a great prize than to actually provide the type of content you are talking about.

The new site, will have some content from users showcased, but it will not be the primary focus, TPS is not ready for that yet.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 26th 2005#170593 Report
Even I have made a small suggestion, hehe...Saw the competition too late and don't know if I even made the spec's...But they're changable of course.

http://p-ahlqvist.com/examples/tps/index.htm

A meare suggestion - Pervert
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 26th 2005#170599 Report
I agree with Rich on
" In fact the best of the prizes is the link from the home page in IMO - over the course of a year or tow - or however long we keep the design it is worth a hell of a lot"
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 26th 2005#170604 Report
Since no time zone was specified... I'm assuming I have until midnite tonite, MY TIME ZONE! ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 27th 2005#170609 Report
OK, thanks to everyone that has entered. I will annouce the winner in a new thread. Closing this one...
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum