TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Domain Forwarding...how?

Page: 1 2 Reply
Jun 19th 2005#168874 Report
Call me stupid, I've never done this before. Okay, don't call me stupid, I'm learning. I've have an account with registerfly.com and I think Deker stated he had a domain or two there as well...so any help *cough cough* Deker would be greatly appreciated, or anyone with some information.

I googled what I was looking for and only found services for domain forwarding. Now is it safe to assume that you cannot just forward any domain name to where you want it to go?

Is there a place in your control panel that allows you to do this or do you have to pay for it to be done or have your domain with a company that allows it to be redirected? I have a domain name that I want to point somewhere else, can I do it on its own or do I have to build a page for it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to figure out how to do this.

Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 19th 2005#168875 Report
I use RegisterFly, so here goes. First, log into RegisterFly. Click Manage Domains, and then click on the domain you want to forward. Scroll down to URL Redirection Settings and click on "set url framing/ redirection/ forwarding for this domain". Follow the directions there and you should be set.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 19th 2005#168883 Report
Galaphile, I went the route you told me to go, and it went like clockwork. I got a notification sent to my email stating that it would be a while to update. Would you happen to know how long it takes to have it updated? It's been about 4-5 hours now as I'm writing this post.

One more thing. Is this pretty much a standard way of redirecting domain names on every registrar or does each one differ? Thanks for your time and help.

Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 19th 2005#168888 Report
it takes 1 - 48 hours for all of the DNS servers to update.

And yeah, most registrars offer a feature like that.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 20th 2005#168896 Report
Deker, I actually forgot to edit my post after I found out the information. After I looked more into this, I noticed it stated it would take anywhere between the time of updating to 48 hours. So I'm patiently waiting.

Is it better to redirect from within the regstrar or create a web page and redirect from the web page instead? Just curious if that's possible as well. Thanks for your reply man, I appreciate it.

Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 20th 2005#168900 Report
For simplicities sake, I'd say redirecting from the registrar is the better option.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 20th 2005#168901 Report
Galaphile, thanks for your reply. I actually had another question as well, but the more I think about it, the more I realize it doesn't make too much sense. Well it does depending on how things are built and redirected.

Basically I'm looking to get into some affiliate marketing and had started this thread here:
http://forum.teamphotoshop.com/showthread.php?t=24033&highlight=affiliate+marketing

But some of us were discussing it back over at this thread here:
http://forum.teamphotoshop.com/showthread.php?t=24027&highlight=affiliate+marketing

So that's why I'm asking as I'm looking to see which would be the best way to get traffic other than just advertising.

We'll see where this venture takes us....

Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 23rd 2005#168933 Report
Alright, I have a new question here. One of my friends had a site with iPowerWeb and now it expired. He tried to do a domain transfer to godaddy and this is what they sent him:

Dear Valued GoDaddy.com Customer,
You recently purchased a domain registrar transfer for: ALVAROCHAVEZ.COM
However, the current status of the above domain name is:
REGISTRAR-LOCK, REGISTRAR-HOLD,

So I went to iPowerWeb and logged into his control panel to search around and there isn't anything in there that allows me to unlock it. After looking at the support they have, it's a database where you search, I found out I need to have access to the "administration utility" which I thought I had, assuming this is the control panel.

But it doesn't seem to be. Then I found out we have to email them with a name, phone number, and the last four digits of the credit card number.

Here's the problem, we don't know which credit card was used or if it's been canceled because there's no way to look up the billing information without contacting them with the actual billing information we need.

So is there a way around this? Can anything be done? The domain is expired, but we have access to the cp, and GoDaddy won't allow the transfer until it is unlocked. Any help, or suggestions would be great. Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from somebody in regards to this.

Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 23rd 2005#168935 Report
the registrar has it locked for like 30 days after it expires. normally they'll let you renew it for like $100 or something crazy like that. you'd have to either work with the current registrar to find another way to prove you are who you are, or just wait the 30 days, then try to re-register it before someone else does.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 23rd 2005#168945 Report
Well we don't want to renew it with the same company. What my partner tried to do was transfer it after the domain had expired, although I told him to do it ahead of time. So then he was told it was locked.

Now I read something about $100 bucks last night as I was looking into this, so does that mean that he'll be charged $100 dollars if it transfers right now, because at GoDaddy, where he transferred to, there's some kinda charge there for $105 but iPowerWeb states something about $100 dollars.

I was also looking at the knowledge base, and they said that my partner would have to call in and give his personal information so they could unlock it. But I'm not sure where that charge will happen.

Any info on this? Is there going to be a 100 dollar charge somewhere from either side, and would it be better to just wait the 30 days and renew it?
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum