TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

GMailSwap.com

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Reply
May 21st 2004#150993 Report
People are desperate for GMail accounts! http://gmailswap.com/

Including me... I'm offering my collection of Ass of the Week pictures for a GMail invite... It's over 1,000 pictures. Get it while it's hot! ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
May 21st 2004#150995 Report
What makes Gmail so special?
Reply with Quote Reply
May 21st 2004#151000 Report
I'm not sure. Maybe it's the 1 GB of space. But who needs that much space anyway? Why don't they offer free hosting with 1 GB of space instead?
Reply with Quote Reply
May 21st 2004#151003 Report
Yeah, that would be cool.

It does look like the best free web based email service out there, but still, I don't see what all the hype is about....maybe i'm missing something??

Personally I prefer my POP3 and web based email service offered by my isp. Can't say i'll be switching to gmail anytime soon.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 21st 2004#151011 Report
I heard yahoo is going to offer something like Gmail, so I was told to chill for a month or 2 and then compare. I trust Yahoo, they know the game, so I hope they get something going soon.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 21st 2004#151019 Report
I just think it's fun to be excited about it. It's kind of like a special members only club at this point because of the semi-closed beta period.

I plan on signing up as soon as I can and most likely using it as my primary email service. Why? Because Google does things extremely well. The service will be fast, it has a very simple and usable interface, no ads other than the text-based ads that occasionally show up, etc. They don't put a tagline at the bottom of every email you send like Hotmail and Yahoo do. It has a built-in spam filter. A lot of nice sorting and threading features that I haven't seen on web-based mail before. It's all searchable with the Google speed and accuracy.

"But who needs that much space anyway?"

That's as short-sighted as saying "Who needs 1gb of hard drive space?" a few years ago when the norm was 200-400mb. Or even longer ago when they were measured in Kilobytes.

I pay $35 a month for my hosting, and have 3gb of space. I use IMAP mail so I can access my email anywhere, which means it's all stored on the server. My email uses about 200mb at the moment. As that amount grows, it's cutting into the storage space on my server, and I'll eventually have to upgrade the account because of my email, and 100 clients emails, all stored on the server. With GMail I can keep 1gb of email on their servers for free. It will be mostly transparent to my friends and associates because they don't put a tagline on the email, and you can set the reply-to address to be something else. So it will appear that it's coming from my "real" address at my domain name, but it's actually being forwarded to my GMail account, and not costing me a penny.

Time will tell though. I'm not super excited about using a web page to check my mail all the time, but I've read somewhere that Google will eventually allow you to forward the emails from there, or check them with a normal email client. So that would be nice.

But I think the reason people are so excited is because everyone is excited about and talking about Google right now, they were the first to plan to do 1gb of storage rather than the laughable 2 and 4mb offered by hotmail and yahoo, it has a lot of cool features, and right now it's a member's only club so everyone wants in. Plus if you can sign up fast you'll have a good address rather than [email]hotstuff20203837292@gmail.com[/email].
Reply with Quote Reply
May 21st 2004#151020 Report
[QUOTE=deker]I'm offering my collection of Ass of the Week pictures for a GMail invite... It's over 1,000 pictures. Get it while it's hot! ;)[/QUOTE]

:eek: Half naked/naked girls photos :eek: That's a unique offer for the internet... :p :o You're in.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 21st 2004#151022 Report
Yeah but it's free! and I won't send you an pop-ups or viruses! scout's honor!
Reply with Quote Reply
May 21st 2004#151023 Report
Oh yeah, i have some v1/-\$ra for sale too if you guys need some!
Reply with Quote Reply
May 21st 2004#151026 Report
:-o Deker is pulling out the 1337 5p34k! *runs away seeing he knows how to fold clothes like ninjas*
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum