TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Are you good enouph to get a graphic designer job?

Page: 1 2 Reply
Jul 15th 2001#8590 Report
Starving Artist

Can't afford to do this full time "yet" I work for the Dept. of Agriculture full time and do this and pankpages at night and weekends...
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 15th 2001#8605 Report
i have a degree in drawing, no formal design training. i got a job during the dot com boom and when the dust cleared, luckily, i still had my job. many of the places i inverviewed at 1-2 years ago are gone...scary. plus, i run a freelance illustration and design business as well.

i have three pieces of advice for people who want to be designers...

1. absorb everything. good designers draw upon everything around them...their knowledge of current events, art history, architecture, nature, music, politics, pop culture, whatever. if you don't have that knowledge, then you'll never design anything interesting. <-- this is the best advice you will find in this whole topic

2. go to school or don't go to school, i don't care. only you will know if you need to or not.

3. be equal parts business person and artist or you will fail. you can't be a flighty, moody artist forever.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 15th 2001#8610 Report
Originally posted by nate843
Well, are you good enough to get a graphic designer job?

Hell No!!!!!

This is a hobby for me, pretty much I suck, but I work for a small company repairing scannned in line art which we use for embossing, so I play with Illustrator, which in turned inspired me to get Photoshop, which in turn inspired me to learn HTML. And now I am designing a webpage for the company I work for.

But to go solo/pro? Hehe, uh, not a good idea :p
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum