TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Server Side v. Client Side

Page: 1 Reply
Jul 1st 2002#56153 Report
Pardon the fact that I'm new at all this Web stuff. What is the difference between client side and server side?

Also, what is PHP?

Thanks

~R~

No nifty logo or anything yet!

AOL Instant Messenger = KoltKeroppi:p
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 1st 2002#56160 Report
*sighs because of a long explanation*...well,
client side is something that the server sends as a package (embedded in the usual source) to the client (the guy who´s surfing the site), and the client´s browser opens the package @ the client´s computer.

ServerSide is when the client requests for the package, the server does what the serverSide code tells it to do, and THEN send it away to the client. Thus, the client not even seeing anything what went on @ the server before he got the package.

PHP is a preprocessor of HTML. It´s a very powerful language, due to many new (or simplified) commands to the server. Now, I´m a total n00b when it comes to PHP, but I think I know a bit..
PowerfulSquid just bought a PHP book, and there are others on this forum that know PHP quite well, I´ve understood.

What PHP does, as any other serverSide language, is that it WRITES the code, before it comes to your computer. And this makes includes (reads a file somewhere, and inserts it straight into the source to be sent to you) possible. I know ASP (the serverSide version of JavaScript) can include too, and guess a lot of other languages too.. Then there is CGI and PERL, that (what I´ve understood) are more of database-handling languages... not sure. I hope someone more excperienced would take the time to explain all of this in a more professional way, or guide you with good links.. But, that´s what I know.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 1st 2002#56162 Report
Thank you for the explanation.

~R~
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 1st 2002#56163 Report
You´re welcome.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 1st 2002#56169 Report
yeah that...
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 2nd 2002#56188 Report
I also agree..
what paavo said I didn't read it really, but I just assume he's
right because well.. I dunno why, it just seems right.. I mean really, why say no, when it feels so good to say yes
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 2nd 2002#56201 Report
*client side = stuff processed on your computer*
*server side = stuff processed on the web server*
*php = a server side scripting language that does all manner of cool stuff like mailing forms, creating database driven web sites, shopping carts, content management systems, etc.*

heh... that was the short version of what paavo said. He's a little long-winded. ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum