TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Any suggestions on how to make a photo gallery?

Page: 1 2 3 Reply
Jun 6th 2002#51994 Report
I need to make one for my site. I don't even know where to start. I guess by making thumbnails. That's not too hard.

How do you make your full sized image open up in a new window?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2002#51999 Report
window.open("URL","","width=xxx,height=xxx")

..PHP is the ultimate tool for galleries tho..
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2002#52002 Report
I disagree. ASP is the ultimate language for that.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2002#52008 Report
PHP, ASP, Perl, whatever. Those are all server-side languages and he posted it in the client-side section. So I guess he wants to use HTML coupled with JavaScript or DHTML. The simplest way would be to gather your images and put the thumbnails in a table. The thumbnails would then link to a full size image that could open in a new window.

If that's too simple, then you'll probably want to go with a server-side gallery unless you know JavaScript and DHTML pretty well. http://www.webmonkey.com had a tutorial on how to make a simple gallery with PHP, or you can find a pre-made script at http://www.hotscripts.com
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2002#52013 Report
either that or he didn't know the difference and want's the best solution.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2002#52014 Report
Well, lets start with a few questions:

1) What kind of server will this be hosted on?

2) Do you plan on adding more photos in the future, and if so, rarely or often?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2002#52015 Report
Originally posted by Hunkorama417
PHP, ASP, Perl, whatever. Those are all server-side languages and he posted it in the client-side section.

I have no idea about what is client side and server side. I'm more into the graphics and not the web part. I'm really only doing this for myself. Not looking to learn it thoroughly until I take some classes in it.

thanks for all the help. I'll look into all of it.

1)server? not that serious. Just a little personal angelfire site.
2)how often? every few weeks I'll be adding new photos.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2002#52020 Report
Well the Lycos Network (includes Angelfire) is built on ASP. Whether or not they allow ASP in their free homepages is a question for their support area.

If you want to add photos as frequently as you say, I would definitely look at server-side scripts. If you get a chance, see if you can find what services/languages Angelfire allows, and if they offer any free ASP components/scripts for their users. Most hosts have CDONTS installed which will allow you to send mail using ASP scripting only, but there are 1000's of other handy ASP components out there that they may or may not carry, some of which you can download for free and ask Angelfire to install for you. My suggestion would be to find a good cheap host, which will give you far more flexibility in what you can do with your site.

If you want any suggestions for components and/or scripts that will help you in your journey for a good photo gallery, let me know and I can surely help you out there.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2002#52064 Report
thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure they don't allow that code. It says absolutley nothing about them in their help or faq sections. I'm pretty sure you can only use html and java.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2002#52089 Report
yea, angelfire blows, lol, they don't allow any code except the basic html, java and dhtml.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum