TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Please help with this!

Page: 1 Reply
Apr 27th 2001#2444 Report
i am working on a website for some rollerbladers. they have Mpeg Clips of them doing tricks, i know how to uplaod them so my users can downlaod them and view them, but can anyone tell me how i can make them streaming videos, where a viewer has to log onto the site everytime they want to view them, and they can't save them to their hard drive.

Thanks in Advance

-Brandon
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 27th 2001#2456 Report
Yeah, encode them to asf or ra(m)

Although I don't suggest encoding to Real Video, it is an option.

Download the Power Tools for Internet Explorer, I think that lets you encode an mpg or avi to asf. But if you encode to asf, I do believe the person can go to their Temp. Internet Files folder and get the .asx or whatever file and just stick that on their desktop or somewhere, then all they gotta' do is double-click that and watch the video.

.....(Now I've gone and confused myself, I'll figure it out later and reply back).....
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 27th 2001#2464 Report
making it a .ram file will definitely work to make it so they can't download the file though. Saving the .ram file to your hard drive only saves the address of the file to be streamed. I'm not as familier with .asf, but I was recently trying to figure out a way to save a .ram file myself, and could not. So that may be your best bet.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 27th 2001#2474 Report
But the thing with Real Media is that it sucks.....literally. Unless you embed it into the page, then they have to open Real Player or Real Jukebox, and that is definitely the biggest resource hog I have EVER come across.

That is why I don't suggest using Real Media.

Although I do know that Windows Media Player 7 is a resource hog, it is not as bad as Real Player, and don't use 7 anyways...I use the old 5.x because it uses almost NO resources and it doesn't have all that fancy crap.

Oh yeah, and deker, that's what I was saying when I was talking about the address file, but it's called an .asx file or something. Yes, they do have to stream it, but they still don't have to go to the site to see it.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 28th 2001#2492 Report
The whole point of this is for the viewers to be able to go to our website and watch a "streaming video" using a user-friendly interface, with Stop, Play, Pause, and the "screen" embedded into the HTML page, so everytime they want to watch the video they have to log onto our site.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum