TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Shtml??

Page: 1 2 Reply
Aug 27th 2001#14664 Report
What is shtml??? How's it diferent from normal html??
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 27th 2001#14667 Report
The .shtml extension is used when you're using Server Side Includes (SSI) in your web pages.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 27th 2001#14669 Report
And SSI's are?? Like I know you said they were Server Side Includes but what are those?? Are they like CGI's or Java or something??
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 27th 2001#14671 Report
They allow you to do simple things such as have a site-wide header and footer, display the date, last modified, etc. For a detailed explanation on it check out http://www.bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 27th 2001#14677 Report
So then it's sort of like PHP then right??
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 27th 2001#14681 Report
php is a web-programming language.

SSI is a just a tool you can use on webservers that have it enabled to include things into webpages. It's a definate need to have a dynamic website.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 27th 2001#14682 Report
But couldn't something like PHP do the same or better?? All these .blah blahs are confusing. Like PHP Asp CGI DHTML SHTML etc.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 27th 2001#14687 Report
try reading once in a while.

PHP web programming language. Basically it just preprocesses text and does stuff to it. It's like a pumped up version of Perl.

Asp basically the Microsoft Version of PHP. Pretty much does the same thing, but this uses VBScript.

CGI Common Gateway Interface. This isn't an actual language. It's more like a protocol.

DHTML Is basically a combination of HTML, CSS and JavaScript. There is nothing fancy done with it. It's not a programming language. It's just used to make website elements do other things they shouldn't normally do. This has no File Extension.

SHTML This is just a hint to the webserver. In most webserver configs there is a section where it sets up SSI. the default file type for a file that needs to be parsed to include an SSI is .shtml. Any file that has the .shtml will be parsed to out put what the SSI does. Then it will print the information to the browser like it had been a part of the document the entire time.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 27th 2001#14690 Report
Axiom, do you like insulting me?? That is the second time now. I do read thank you. However I didn't think that there was any reason to go of and read a book, for example, to ask my question. You may have all the time in the world to read books, also for example, on everything you have questions for but I don't. Do you respond to every post by telling people to go read??

I appreciate the fact that you did answer my question but I don't think that there was any reason for your comment. This forum is here for people to ask questions and so I thought I would use it for it's intended purpose. Clearly you must have never asked a question here as I'm sure you practice what you preach, so you must have went off to go read some informative guide on your problems until you had no more.

So next time I ask a question could you please refrain from your little comments? Or maybe just don't respond to them as I don't like being insulted all that much.

Thanks
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 27th 2001#14715 Report
I think Axiom's point is that you are asking extremely simple questions, and it would take you exactly 3 seconds to find the answer on any search engine. You could probably find the answer faster with a search engine than by typing out the question here, and clicking submit. This forum is a place to learn, but it is unfair for you to not put forth very much effort to figure something out on your own before asking us. I'm NOT telling you to stop asking questions, it's great that you are so eager to learn. It's just that if you will look for some of this stuff on your own, you will most likely learn it better.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum