TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

website security

Page: 1 Reply
Jun 2nd 2005#168500 Report
Hi, I notice that if you click on browser's edit buttom some websites will open and you would be able to save it on your computer. So, that could be a way to copy a website (??!!) How can I avoid it to happen to my website too? Is there a way to protect the website or block this kind of action?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 2nd 2005#168502 Report
Why wouldn't you want someone to save your website to their computer? Maybe they want to save it so they can look at it later offline. Trying to keep people from looking at the source of your web site is a very bad idea. If they are going to "steal" the design of it, they are going to do it no matter what. All you have to do is take a screenshot to get the graphics. Don't worry about it. It would do much more harm to the users of the web site than it would to help you protect whatever you are afraid people will steal from it.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 2nd 2005#168504 Report
Yes, I know that there's a bunch of "how to" copy something on the internet. But the question is: Is it possible to avoid? Like, you can "edit" microsoft.com and save it on your computer but you can not do it on vonage.com. Why someone would copy these sites? I don't know! Why they should protect it? Why not?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 3rd 2005#168512 Report
Are you just talking about viewing the source of a page? Because you can still do that on vonage.com.

Why not? Because #1, it's impossible. Because #2, it provides no real value, and will only harm your customer's/user's experience. The people that want to save your site for whatever reason, will do it whether you want them to or not. Don't ruin everyone else's experience just because you're paranoid.

A lot of inexperienced web designers freak out about people being able to download their sites or view the source, or completely change the look of a site with browser settings and customer stylesheets. Basically, you just need to not worry about it, and concentrate on making a good site, not on locking everyone out of it.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 3rd 2005#168513 Report
deker, why are you pulling your hair off about this?? don't wast your time, if you don't know how to do the thing, what can we do? :p
if anyone else wants to give me a second opinion, please fell free to do it... but be gentle!
:D
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 3rd 2005#168533 Report
vivi, what he is trying to tell you it that there's no way to block people from doing it, just don't worry about it.

The only way deker would lose his time is if you don't listen to what he's trying to say, which seems to be the case. ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 4th 2005#168556 Report
Well, I did listen and I did understand... I was just playing with him because I didn't like the way he posted.
The truth is that this security issue was more a curiosity than a problem for me. I'm learning things on my on about web design; so, sometimes it's good to know what people think. That's why I decide to join this forum.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 4th 2005#168559 Report
Those are the same reasons that made me join

He didn't want to be harsh I'm sure... it's sometimes easy to interprete the wrong way when things are typed.

Anyway, hope it could help ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 4th 2005#168562 Report
I'm not reaaly sure why this would be a security issue? I didn't have any problem downloading vonage.com - so I am not sure what you mean by you can't download it.

There is nothing secret about html or css. Don't kid yourself into thinking that you have to "hide your precious source code". Now as mentioned before if someone wants to "rip" your site that is a different issue alltogether. Then you just to a whois lookup, call guido the ball ripper and he'll take care of your business =D
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum