TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Want a hitcounter, but not one that can be viewed.

Page: 1 2 Reply
Jan 19th 2005#164848 Report
Hey...hehe, I have a dilemma. I'm making this site and they want a counter on it. I can't stand counters. The host should provide such service without me having to have an ugly son of a bitch hitcounter on the page, right ? Well, their host do not have that service and they demand a counter.

So I made a deal with'em, if I could manage to make it not visible, but accessable, would that be ok ? And yes thay agreed. Now there aren't any transparent hitcounters out there, not for free anyhow, that I can find. So I had to make up a little something to make it invisible, hehe...

My solution to the problem if anyone would be interested:

First get some free hitcountercode somewhere (often not allowed to manipulate with their code, so lets not )preferably one that links to a "show and tell page" otherwise the invisible result will be hard to obtain, hehe. I got this:

[html]

Sponsored by

Web Hosting

[/html]

This is to be posted upon the sitepage on which you want statistics, right ?
Now to the solution it self. There is possibilities to actually make things transparent in certain degree by adding filters to the HTML code, however the filter thingy just works with Explorer (I think) and not Mozilla, but we'll solve that aswell .

I played some with the css file of mine and came up with a div id, and a div class which we are gonna use now:
[CODE]

#invisible{
-moz-opacity: 0.0;
filter: alpha(opacity=00);
}

.nosee{
-moz-opacity: 0.0;
filter: alpha(opacity=00);
}
[/code]

After altering the CSS file and adding this bit, I had to alter the HTML code aswell in order to get that formatting on the actual page. So taking that upper hitcounter code, without modifications to the code and placing it within a div which is given the id=invisible, and adding the class=nosee to the table the counter resides in:
[code]
[div id="invisible"]
Put that hitcountercode in here and add class="nosee" to the table...and change the brackets to the kind their supposed to be ;)
[/div]
[/code]

gives us a counter that is in fact invisible, even in IE depending on the class and id combined (for some reason I haven't got a clue of, hehe).

Thus make me a very satisfied man today. I have manage to do something I set out to accomplish

Ohooo, I forgot to post the proof, a must after this post, eh ?
Can U find the counter

Patric.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 19th 2005#164849 Report
Thats pretty cool, good job
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 19th 2005#164850 Report
hmm why not use one of the free ones?
http://www.reinvigorate.net/ <- best one, but is actually down for a few days now.
All you have to do is put one line of javascript and it works, and you can check all stats from that one.

or

http://extremetracking.com
That's the other one I use, they say that you have to make their sponsor image on your site.
Well I am, but I have it as an 1x1 px :P
And it's free and very easy to set up and got alot of stats too...
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 19th 2005#164851 Report
I thank you, dear sir, for the praise. I'm however awaiting the kneehigh bonecut from Deker ;)...'coz I'm certain that there are more to say here. But it works...
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 19th 2005#164852 Report
Oups, sorry, Björn...We must've posted at the same time ;).

I'll go have a looksie at those, the thing is that it can't show. No visibility...but you've solved that pretty good...Hmmm, I'll have to check that out too.

Well, the thing was that I didn't think as usual (that 1x1 px solution in mind), hehe, so I had to come up with a solution of my own...And I did ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 19th 2005#164853 Report
Rather than use that opacity stuff you can just use display: none; or visibility:hidden; as well.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 19th 2005#164855 Report
hm...I never seen that, believe it or not. I can ? Ie div named blah with display: none; in it ?

Ok, have to go test that one. Thanks.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 19th 2005#164856 Report
Yeah just take out your other declarations and put in

display:none;
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 19th 2005#164860 Report
can u find the counter?

haha not only can I find it.. I can also see it:

using opera:D
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 19th 2005#164869 Report
... or you can write your own script in PHP?

Just have the script take in all the information you want and write it to a flatfile or database, then all you'd have on the page is just a php include. ;)

Oh, and a page to read the info from the file/db.

And here's the proof: http://mcpx.cc ;) Find the counter on that! Woo ...

If I didn't have eleven pages to write by tomorrow, I'd write you one up (or adapt mine). :p
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum