TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

scrollable text area for news?

Page: 1 Reply
Sep 17th 2004#160219 Report
Hello, i am currently trying to redesign a clean site for my friend and have run into a problem. I am using dreamweaver Mx 2004 on a Mac. i am trying to make the web site as Safari/explorer/netscape userfriendly as possible.

On the front page, i have a menu at the top and on the left with logos etc all inside a TABLE with lots of columns and rows etc. Now inside that table ive created a new table, which is where i wish to impliment a scolling area functionality.

How could i acheive a simple way to be able to write text inside the table and allow for users to be able to scroll down to earlier news?

Very much like this text box that i am typing into now, infact almost exactly except i dont want users to be able to type/edit any text in my news box.

Also, i have another question but i fear it may be complex. I wish to have a button on my web page where i can allow for the people who run the site to update the news. i want them to be able to log in and click 'add/update news' then type some text to update the site news. Is this possible to do? if so, how can i acheive this? with css? please direct me to any good tutorials, my web site building knowledge is limited, however im a fast learner and dont mind trying new things. Just as long as there are no frames involved, they seam very incompatable to me!

thanks very much for any help you may give

best regards,

James :confused:
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 17th 2004#160224 Report
An iFrame would be the fastest/easiest way to do that. They are compatible with pretty much every browser except like netscape 3 and earlier.

You could also make a div to a certain size/width, and then set overflow: scroll in the CSS to make it scroll. However most browsers won't let a scroll wheel scroll that, which is annoying.

But the code would be:

< div id="scroller">Content here< /div>

Then in your css:

#scroller {
width: 400px;
height: 300px;
overflow: scroll;
}

You can add other style definitions to make it look better, but that's the basics of it.

As for the news posting, you can search for news scripts on www.hotscripts.com, or use a content system like www.movabletype.org
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum