TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Book On CSS

Page: 1 Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13313 Report
Does anyone know of or use any really good books on CSS?? I'm asking because I want to completely design part of my schools webpage with it for my independent study project. I don't really even know where to start with CSS so the book will have to be start pretty basic.

If anyone can give me a hand It would be greatly appreciated.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13319 Report
I don't really see a need for a book on CSS. There's so much information on the net about it, it's too easy to learn from.

And I even think (unless I'm mistaken) people have actually given you links to CSS info on the net, in some of your CSS posts. You're going to have to read either way, read it on the net.

You'd waste money to buy a book (like most other things website design wise)

http://www.google.com/search?q=CSS+tutorials
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13322 Report
First of all the majority of the links I have received don't cover CSS as much as I would like them too. Secondly, if I make the decision to purchase book on CSS then that is my decision and if I thought it was such a waste of money then I wouldn't be asking about one, now would I?? Thirdly, I find it rather insulting that you give me a link to search for CSS tutorials, like I was incompetent or something. I have tried and have become dissatisfied with the lack of information on most sites and find it inconvenient to go to multiple sites to learn what is conveniently organized and covered in depth in a book.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13323 Report
Sorry, I've learned it myself on the net, and learned it quite well, which means the info is out there. Along with HTML, PHP, Javascript, and other languages, learned quite well on the net.

Also, I'm entitled to my opinion, and if that upsets you, then oh well. Everyone has an opinion. Mine is that wasting money on books is just that.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13324 Report
First, allow me to backup mbb here.

If you go to that search, you will most definatly come up with with at least one link to w3c, the organization responsible for the CSS 1 - 3 specifications. Saying that w3c.org hasn't got enough information just tells me that you didn't look.

Now, I will take up for you. I too prefer to have tangible media infront of me from which I will learn things. But know this. No matter which css book you pick up, it will be better used as a handbook. infact, once you get the jist of css, you will rarely look at that book.

The only CSS/HTML type book I own :

O'reilly : Dynamic HTML . It has all specifications of CSS, HTML 4.0, Document Object Model ( DOM ) and JavaScript. Basically any book by oreilly is good and a definate resource.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13328 Report
recommended reading from someone I trust on this subject.

DHTML and CSS for the World Wide Web: Visual QuickStart Guide, by Jason Cranford Teague:
If you can't get any other book to learn CSS and DHTML, this is the one for you. It covers both subjects well, and teaches you W3C DOM compliant Dynamic HTML. This is a good book to get you started, is geared more towards the novice than the advanced scripter. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201730847/dhtmlshock-20

Cascading Style Sheets:
The Definitive Guide, by Eric Meyer: This is the best book on learning style sheets you can find. Eric Meyer takes you through every attribute their is, and not only tells you how to use it, but how each browser (especially Netscape) tends to treat every declaration differently. An invaluable tool, especially coupled with the next book.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565926226/dhtmlshock-20

Cascading Style Sheets 2.0 Programmer's Reference, by Eric Meyer:
This is the companion book to the definitive guide. A pocket reference, with bare bones information on every style out there.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072131780/dhtmlshock-20

this all came from

http://dhtmlshock.com
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13343 Report
Originally posted by Axiom
Saying that w3c.org hasn't got enough information just tells me that you didn't look.

Well Axiom for your information I have been there and they do not have the greatest of tutorials as they only have four or five. They many more books that they tell you to buy, around 15. So don't try and tell me I haven't looked because I have. They do have many resources but like I said I'm dissatisfied with the lack of information on most sites. And don't want to have to jump all over he net to learn what can be found in one book.

Now I asked about books not because I didn't know of any but because I wanted to know if anyone else here had used one and really liked it or found it well organized etc.

I didn't realizes that I would be insulted or made to look incompetent. I have done my homework before coming to this board so what more can you ask for. It's not like I just came and asked a question with out doing some dirty work first.

So don't EVER assume anything and don't tell me that I haven't looked because I have.:mad:
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13345 Report
Oh and thank you Torn. I will definitely look into those books.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 16th 2001#13351 Report
Forget it. You will be 'offended' by anything any of us say.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 27th 2001#14685 Report
Well I'm a lot less B*tchy now. Anyhoo, what's are peoples experiences with the Dummies guides?? As I'm looking at the dummies guide for CSS but wnated to know how every found them. Where they useful, well explained, etc.... Thanks a bunch.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum