TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

couple questions about resolution and layout...

Page: 1 Reply
Mar 18th 2004#145685 Report
Hia guys, I was wondering If I should just do away with the iframe that I have and just use divs for each navigation? I'll set the background image of each div to each navigation image. Then I'll just insert a table into each div so I can use the cells to layout the links and use javascript to hide/show the divs. Do you guys think it's wise to do away with frames or is it just a project in itself?

Also, my header image is at width="1000" and height="172". That size is big enough for a person that has their monitor resolution set to 1024 X 768. What about the people who have lower resolutions? I want everything to be uniform on the page and fit just right so there won't be any horizontal scrollbar. Can CSS resize the image to each person's resolution without losing any quality? I relize you can also just resize the .psd file but I didn't do the graphics for my website. The person who created them for me said, "that would just be to much work". So now I'm left with figure something out.

-Peace
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 18th 2004#145687 Report
http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/cssnopreloadrollovers/ <-- best way to handle rollover navbars in my opinion. iFrames are irritating.

No you can't resize images with css to fit any resolution. 1000px wide is going to make a scrollbar on just about everyone's screen. Even if their resolution is set to 1024 x 768 (around 40% of web still uses 800x600), they may not have their browser maximized full screen so they'll still get the horizontal scroll bar. Best to design for a little under 800x600 for right now in most cases.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 19th 2004#145730 Report
Oh, goooooood, derek. I just luuuuve your blog, hehe...

and back to the topic...

I think Deke is right here, according to w3schools 37% of all users surf at 800x600, but on the other hand 47% have swapt from ? to 1024x768, so...

But anyways, it's better to make the site for the smaller rez, thus the higher rez users can see the page anyways, right ? But if you swing it about and make the site for 1024x768+ users, 37% of all folks out there will have to sidescroll, wich stinks...

Patric.

BTW, deker, d'ya have a link to share, regarding div's and stuff. I use iframes 'coz I don't like big pages that make me scroll the browser, but I wanna look into alternatives ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 19th 2004#145738 Report
There are lots of good CSS resources in the resources section here: http://www.cssvault.com/

And I would much, much much, rather scroll the entire page than a little iframe. I can use my scroll wheel on larger pages without having to be sure it's over some tiny little iFrame. And having 3 or 4 scroll bars on a page is just too confusing and annoying. Just let the page scroll like it was intended. ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 19th 2004#145741 Report
Well, Here's the current layout which I'm having trouble aligning the three columns correctly. http://www.maxforcepc.com the Width of the header is now 800 and I'm going to keep it that way it seems to be large enough. Anyways If anyone could help me with aligning the columns correctly that would be great. Also I would like to center everything in the middle of the page so that I don't have this one huge white space on the right.

-Thanks
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 19th 2004#145742 Report
800px wide will still create scroll bars for most people. If their screen is set to 800x600, and they have the browser maximized, the scroll bar on the side (and favorites bar, etc, if it's there) will take up more room. Around 770 or 780 is a better number.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum