TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Asp? Php?

Page: 1 Reply
Jan 21st 2004#138756 Report
Not to start a battle, but I'd like to see the ratio of php to asp programmers here... I've always argued with coworkers and friends which is used mroe and I'd like to see it from you guys...

Thanks!

[If you want, go ahead and give a reason ]
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 21st 2004#138758 Report
ASP is irrelvant, has been for 2 years now. ASP is an old language, like BASIC. It's almost pointless to use it anymore. Your poll should be ASP.NET vs PHP. It's cheating to compare PHP to ASP, which is the same as it was 8 years ago.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 21st 2004#138762 Report
just act like that is asp.net poopie face
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 21st 2004#138773 Report
ASP (vbscript or jscript) and PHP are similar in one big way - they are both scripting languages. The .net platform uses compiled code which makes it in a league above php, imo. Matt is right in that nothing has changed with asp because m$ has spent all their effort to make sure .jsp doesn't take over the market and develped .net. As far as poplarity goes I would have to say it's .net versus php and not asp3.0 . and there is no reason to limit yourself to one language.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 14th 2004#142129 Report
well php can not compete with .net they arent even in the same ball park. BUt theres a big BUT.....php server as the best tool for everyday (web) programers using mysql.
Were if falls short in my opinion is in building complete web aplications. Thats were the .net kills the rest, corporations needing intergration and expandability will HAVe to resont to .net for a complete solution. Thats just in my point of view.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 14th 2004#142196 Report
what are you saying matboy.... good gawd

relevancy is based on the host operating system, and the avaialble server (side) language it supports....

Nt platforms support .asp (Needs IIS web server and extensions - supports access/SqlServer)
Unix platforms support .php (Needs Apachie web server and other modules - particularly MYSQL for backend)

though both languages are capable of the same things, there dependencies are entirely exclusive.... yet, you can install Apache on an NT machine, and enable .asp on a Unix box, its not without limitations

I use WinXp/with IIS installed and develope dynamic .asp websites communicating with access/SqlServer

I also have php/MySql installed and often swith back and forth for when I realize the clients hosting envioronment.

Though .Net is taking off, I think it will be awhile for it to actually replace .asp.

just my .02 worth

heathrowe
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 14th 2004#142201 Report
.asp on a Unix machine doesn't use vBscript or Jscript - it's Perl based, so the 2 aren't really compatable.

it won't be long before there is a .net - like platform (besides Java) for .php/perl based languages.

and the only reason you can't install iis or windows .asp or .net on a *nix environment is because microsoft won't let you - legally.

But regualr old .asp does quite a bit - it's just .php is still in development while .asp 3 is not and hasn't been for a while. They do once and a while fix or alter vBscript still.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 16th 2004#142419 Report
dim sucks
Argument OVER!
I love PHP
Scripting languages glue together compiled components
I make compiled components for fun
Prolog really sucks...
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum