TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Search Field

Page: 1 Reply
Jan 13th 2004#137559 Report
How difficult would it be to set up a search-type feature on the site that would search about 20,000 potential real estates for keywords (I'm assuming from some other database), and then display the search results?

Nos.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 13th 2004#137588 Report
Well the difficult part is going to be querying someone elses databases. Unless you know the (and it really depends on the database type, server type, database security, database configuration) exact usernames, passwords, physical locations, server names, etc, it's going to be extremely difficult. You would have to set up a database connection to every database that houses listings you want to query. This in theory would take years. Of course you will have to take into consideration that different databases must be queried differently (Access vs SQL Server vs MySQL vs Oracle...).

God's honest truth, it's not possible. I mean, it's possible in theory, but to get the permission of every owner of every database you need would be a huge undertaking in itself.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 13th 2004#137595 Report
unless their site uses a search URL string like:
somerealestatefirm.com/search.php?lookfor=*****

then you could make a forloop reading the generated HTML files into their respective arrays and spitting them out or something.
< /6:18am post> :p
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 13th 2004#137603 Report
I never knew you could do all that in Photoshop.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 13th 2004#137604 Report
I never knew you could do all that in Photoshop.

Obviously you're not familiar with the PHPhotoshop. It's a mix of WYSIWYG Database+PHP coding and Graphics editing. Noob....

*gets shot by an old woman*

O.O
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 13th 2004#137654 Report
Woops, wrong forum - didn't notice. :p I apologize.

[QUOTE=mattboy_slim]Well the difficult part is going to be querying someone elses databases. Unless you know the (and it really depends on the database type, server type, database security, database configuration) exact usernames, passwords, physical locations, server names, etc, it's going to be extremely difficult. You would have to set up a database connection to every database that houses listings you want to query. This in theory would take years. Of course you will have to take into consideration that different databases must be queried differently (Access vs SQL Server vs MySQL vs Oracle...).

God's honest truth, it's not possible. I mean, it's possible in theory, but to get the permission of every owner of every database you need would be a huge undertaking in itself.[/QUOTE]

I can get the permissions and passwords and such, but it will still take years to write the frikken thing.

Nos.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 13th 2004#137675 Report
Your best bet would be to start your own "MLS-like" realty page, and get agencies to submit their listings to you (like on Realtor.com)
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 13th 2004#137677 Report
No, this is a realtor wanting me to do her website - she wants clients to be able to search the MLS database.

Nos.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 13th 2004#137698 Report
See if any of those sites have an xml feed or something like that. Like the RSS feeds from news sources.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 14th 2004#137719 Report
Have you contacted the local MLS agency. Usually with MLS services you can query them as long as she is registered with them (has an MLS ID herself)
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum