TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Real time processed image maps

Page: 1 Reply
Oct 10th 2003#124324 Report
Hello!

I am making a whisky destillery database for my client.

What I need is to be able to plot out the destilleries positions on maps with small "destillery" icons. These icons shall represent the destilleries and be clickable. Clicking on a destillery will bring you information about the destillery.

All info regarding the destilleries are stored in a mysql database.

So what we are talking about, I belive, is real time processed image maps. I dont know if this is even possible to do.

Lets say that I got a template for a image map script. What I then need is that small gifs icons images are plotted out on a static image (a map), and creates a linked areas, from which the (xy) positions of the destilleries (the plots..the gifs) are brought from the database. :D

Does anyone know how to do this, if there are any software for this?

Thx
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 11th 2003#124411 Report
if you using mysql then you defenetly should look into learning PHP.
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 11th 2003#124447 Report
php is HARD all the cryptic error mesaages and stuff....... if i was you i would just export the image (map image) with small squares cut out of it wherre the distilliries are and then export as a transparent imagr?? from help in photoshop 6 & 7

that way you can put layers underneath the transparent bits and just link the layers to wherever you need them to go

hope that help........ it mite not even work but its worth a try
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 13th 2003#124651 Report
I'm not sure, but I believe I did something similar to what lazyroll said on my guestmap found at http://www.digi-fx.net/misc.php

Basically, the map is a layer with a z-index of 0, so it's on the bottom of the page. Then I have a small gif image which I place in layers with a z-index of 1 that link to their appropriate response. This could easily accomplish what you want without too much headache.

Of course, if you can't use layers or CSS for you web site, then I would suggest creating an imagemap with PHP's built-in GD library. I personally haven't experimented much with GD, but from what I've used it for, it's pretty straight-forward and shouldn't take you long to learn.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum