TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

New upcoming forum software.. need feedback

Page: 1 Reply
Jul 23rd 2001#9606 Report
Hi,

Me and an associate recently developed - http://www.360forum.com/360/360forum.cgi ... Its coded in regular perl, and uses variouse eval functions to get desired source files. Im looking for opinions on what to charge, what to improve, what to add, pretty much anything. We'd like to eventually code it in oop, but i am very limited in that field. So if you'd like to help with that email me.

All the best,
[email]Jake@360forum.com[/email]

P.s. great board you have here!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 25th 2001#9724 Report
anyone? :confused:
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 25th 2001#9726 Report
Can you delete your post say if you screw it up???

Not sure what exactly what you are looking for.

Tell me what to critique and I'll critique it.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 25th 2001#9728 Report
Functionality wise it looks good. Very similar to VBulletin. Just from a programmer's perspective, how does using modules increase speed? To me it's just overkill, but that's my opinion. Also, how does 360 store its data? And one last question, how did you accomplish the time zone select box? I have not been able to come up w/ a clean solution. The cleanest I've come up w/ is JavaScript updating a text field.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 25th 2001#9729 Report
How do you tell when there is something new in one of the forums?? Perhaps a legend?? Like on the bottom on of the main forum page here at the team perhaps.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 25th 2001#9743 Report
Hi thanks for the great replies!

as an answer to your questions:

"Can you delete your post say if you screw it up???"

-Yes you may also close / edit / stick / move your thread as well.

"how does using modules increase speed?"

- Combined with eval functions in the main forum script it only loads the variouse lib files once as in everytime the script loads which increases speed and lessens the server load.

"how does 360 store its data?"

- Through a data directory in either .dat files or .cgi files.

"how did you accomplish the time zone select box?"

- I wont release any code as of now, but i just had a variable set up and with each one you could choose your offset eg(5 or -5).

I look forward to hear more from you guys! thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Best Reguards,
threesixty
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 25th 2001#9778 Report
I dunno.

I am always glad to see up and coming programmers developing thier own stuff. It just reminds me of UBB a little too much.

Features i like -

Admin Features

Ability to actually limit size of signatures - file size and dimensions

Add/Delete/Change user information - passwords/account name. While still able to keep all other info intact.

User Features

Able to post code - HTML/CSS/PHP/Perl and others without it screwing up the board, or its layout.

Pretty much everything that any other board has.

Maybe later on, you could either use a database of MySQL as the backend instead of text files. And later do the board in PHP to knock down some of the overhead that comes along with Perl.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 25th 2001#9857 Report
Hmmm... using modules and eval statements doesn't seem to increase performance, but it actually degrades performance. The PERL interpreter has to load all the modules and compile them each time the script is run, thus more memory and CPU power are used.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 25th 2001#9893 Report
I dunno if you were talking to me or not Hunk, so I will just say that re-read my very last paragraph. I said Perl causes more overhead than php...that means it uses more cpu/memory
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 26th 2001#9975 Report
0blivious: Call me Andrew. And no, I wasn't talking to you. I should have directed my point to 360.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum