TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

FancyIndexing

Page: 1 Reply
Jun 9th 2003#107526 Report
hey

i am trying to display the contents of a directory (a bunch of samples/sounds that ive made) on my website www.richie086.com

i asked on the support fourm for my webpage provider and someone reccomended that i use something called FancyIndexing and told me to edit the .htpaccess file on my domain server to allow fancy indexing..

but then i go and search for fancyindexing on google, and i find a site that I think is telling me to edit my smb.conf file and thats where i turn on fancyindexing

basically im confused and dont know what file to edit or how to implement fancyindexing once i find out how to turn it on!!
dont have much experience with linux or apache (thats what the webserver is running) so im pretty lost as of right now! :(

any help is very very very appricated!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 9th 2003#107552 Report
the "fancyindexing" is probably just you telling the server it's ok to make a directory listing on a folder without an index file.

I think you should, if you have PHP enabled on the server, make a very simple script that spits out the contents of a folder.

Search for it on the net, or order me to write a fast one for you. :D
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 9th 2003#107558 Report
smb.conf is the configuration file for Samba - ie. a server to connect a windows machine to a *nix machine in a Network neighborhoods kind of way. .htpaccess or whatever the file is will be on the web server. Basically you have to tell the server to allow indexing. FancyIndexing, blah blah.... But if you were to edit the file setting up the server you would find a listing that gives you the directory of the files and allow people to browse.

If you are setting up the server this is what you look for:
< Directory /web/docs >
IndexOptions FancyIndexing
< /Directory >
< Directory /web/docs/spec >
IndexOptions ScanHTMLTitles
< /Directory >

Directory is just the location of the folder from the root of the server. Then you can configure access and what options to give people on it.

Looks like html tags, but its just an Apache httpd config file (well just a little bite of it.) I dont know the exact command for your .htpaccess file, but you might start searching www.apache.org on the httpd server.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 9th 2003#107559 Report
Do what Paavo said! That would make it more secure and easier. Look up .htaccess on the net. I know there is a php script out there that creates one for you.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 10th 2003#107625 Report
This is what I use for this folder ->
www.astudios.org/kakka/

Here's the code;
[PHP]
echo "

The wrong side of the tracks in astudios.org:

";

$dp=opendir("./");
while($file=readdir($dp)){if($file!==".." AND $file!=="."){$files[]=$file;}}
closedir($dp);