TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

IIS / PWS / mySQL

Page: 1 Reply
Jul 14th 2001#8539 Report
Has anyone here installed and used Microsoft PWS? I trying to call on a database to retireve addresses to store location and I want to it do on my home computer bofore going live. Supposedly using IIS and PWS you can do this by creating a virtual server on your drive. I cant seem to get it to work. If anyone has any ideas on how to get this to work let me know.
TIA, Mike

By the way it is an Access database
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 15th 2001#8557 Report
couple questions:

are you installing PWS4 on a PC? (win98,ME,2000 etc)

and are you certain the requisite ODBC stuff is present?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 15th 2001#8558 Report
Well, im running win2000, I installed IIS, im not sure if PWS was there before or not, but it is now.
I went to ODBC (under adminsttrative tools) and set the user DNS to the database I want to use with the correct driver (for access).

I have my virtual server set to the default dir. Now if I have a simple webpage and type in http://rahklin in my browser it will load the index.htm page, yet when i load an .asp page I get an error saying

"Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
/displaystock.asp, line 19"

I have never called on a database before so im using a script from a tutorial book, but I believe the error lies in my settings some where. And no im not sure everything needed is present.

The faulty line of code is
adoConnection.Open("DSN=CompBitsCoDB");

The server I am going to using a databse on is going to charge 10 bucks a month plus a surcharge for MySQl, so I want to have the database and webpages ready before I go ahead and spend more money
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 15th 2001#8562 Report
Wow, it sounds like you have look and done everthing I woulda done....gimme a few, lemme check some things and yell at a friend.

OH(shot in the dark)...Was the Win2k installation a 'clean' one; Or was it an upgrade from Win98?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 15th 2001#8583 Report
Ack! I have heard that upgrading from win98 was a problem.
And, yah, thats what I did.

May have to get a new drive and do a clean install.

Thanks for your help, if you come up with anything else that would be a be a bonus. :D
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 15th 2001#8588 Report
OmniHTTPD is the best and easiest to set up web server for your machine. I'd strongly suggest using this over PWS. It comes with Mysql and PHP. And best of all it is an install package. So all you do is double click the setup files and it does all the work. And, best of all it's free.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 15th 2001#8602 Report
Just checked out there web site and downloaded the software

Sounds pretty good, im gonna give a shot

Thanks for the tip
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 15th 2001#8609 Report
Pank, do you know if its required to install Chili!ASP to gain .asp support with omni?

I installed omni, was a breeze, but I have yet to get a .asp page to work. And the funny thing is, under the global properties on OMNI it show that there is a chiliASP dll in my system folder.

Anyhow, this is all new to me so if you dont know the answer to this off the top of your head dont worry about, part of the fun of computers is figuring this stuff out (although frustrating at times)
;)
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 15th 2001#8614 Report
ok, I got omniHTTPD running, installes chilisoft (dont know if i had to but i did)

Now in the "external" tab of the global properties in HTTPD it list a driver for chiliASP, since my problem was with asp pages I ran a search for the said driver, and guess what? Doesnt exist

Anyone know where ican get CAISA200.DLL? I am baffled as to why it did not get installed with the rest, figure I would place the file manually but I cant find it.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum