TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

css borders

Page: 1 Reply
Apr 24th 2003#100907 Report
.border {border-left: 1px black; border-right: 1px navy; border-top: 1px navy; border-bottom: 1px navy;} i put that in my style area for css but when i reference it there is no border....is this becuase there is an error in that line of code...or do i have an error elsewhere?
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 24th 2003#100914 Report
What are you putting your border around? td, textarea, input, select, submit, ....?
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 24th 2003#100920 Report
im putting it around a td but ive tried it on a table tr and td with no change....i dont get it... www.angelfire.com/alt/port/port.htm you can see it in the source there with the css at top and the class property towards the bottom in the body text table...also just to see if i could pinpoint the error i tried giving all tables...tds..and trs a border but it still had no effect...its like it just wont put borders on my objects..i dont get it..which is why i wanted to make completely sure i wasnt overlooking something in teh css
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 25th 2003#100983 Report
you are defining a class with the ".", so are you doing this:

< td class="YourClassName" >

You can put borders around table tags and td tags.

CSS works in this order:

Linked = global
Class = block or container of objects
ID = individual objects

ID overrides Class overrides Linked. = cascading

#YourIDName = defines an ID
.YourClassName = defines a class

classes can be td.YourClass or .YourClass

Div and Span tags would define container blocks.

This is sort of the logic behind CSS.

**** edit ****

Sorry, I didnt look at your code until now. Not to sound snooty, but if you are going to be a designer get some hosting. It is very un-professional to use a free service. Angel-Fire puts a lot of crap in your site. You might want to put our style definitions after all their stuff.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 25th 2003#101006 Report
i have gotten that recomendation twice now and i realize that which is why im not getting my performance crited im just getting the site done...i have been looking at domain names and i have planned from the beginning to get one i didnt start this yesterday belive it or not.....i have a pretty good understanding of what looks cheap....about the css i am almost positive that i have that part right...unless you see an error in the original line but what could be overwriting a class? because the css is right...i believe...as is the reference so what is keeping it from showing? during my trouble shooting i gave borders to tds and tables and there was no difference...then i put the borders in the .border class and applied it and still no difference...so i wanted to make absolutely sure i wrote the css correctly...could one of you just take a look at the site maybe and see if you can find the flaw?
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 25th 2003#101009 Report
alright well i just decided in a last effort to use dreamweavers css wizard that i didnt realize was there...it generated a line of code td { border: 1px solid #00000 } and it worked...i have no idea why it didnt work before but it does now...perhaps dreamweaver was the problem...anyways thnx for the help and now i can continue with teh site
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 25th 2003#101011 Report
It probably didn't like you using words for the colors. Instead of the real color. And you also left off the type of border (solid, dotted, dashed, double) which may have had something to do with it. Probably not though. you also don't need to make a value for each side of the border like that.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 25th 2003#101023 Report
one thing that might make a difference, although I don't think it should. Instead of using .border, use td.border. It just says the TD that belongs to class Border. You will still use the class="border" reference.

and like Deker said, if you just use border:BLahBlah.... then it will apply to the whole object. If you wanted just one side to be bordered, then you could use individual lines, etc.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum