TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Browser sniffer with delayed redirect

Page: 1 2 Reply
Feb 17th 2003#91068 Report
Hey guys, does anybody know of any browser sniffers that will let me delay the redirect. I am working on a site that I need to send the user to a specific page based on the browser they are using. have found really good sniffers, but they all redirect the user to the suggested page immediately making it impossible to back out of the site. I don't want to aggrivate the users, I want them to want to come back. I would really appreciate any help on this. Thanks in advance.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 17th 2003#91071 Report
If you don't want to aggrivate users, don't make a site that requires a browser sniffer in the first place.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 17th 2003#91073 Report
Deker I appreciate the cynical reply, very helpful. I am creating a site that uses a popup window to control the layout. The client gave me a site to do that has very little content so I opted for a small shell in a popup window to control the content so that it didn't look like a big site with very little content. I am controling the shell with frames because the scrollable layer that I was trying to use had problems in different environments. I would use one like what is being used on TeamPhotoshop but the client needs to be able to update it himself and does not know very much HTML so I am trying to make it as easy on him as possible. The problem is that every Nutscrape under 6 makes the window bigger and pulls the frames apart. That is the only element of this site that is not working properly in every browser. I generally do not make sites that do not behave the same in every environment but sometimes things come up that are unavoidable. John Lennon said it best when he said "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 17th 2003#91080 Report
If the script uses a meta tag to do the redirect, can't you just change the delay time? I've never used a sniffer script, so I don't know how easy they are to tweak. But that would seem like a pretty easy thing to edit to me.

Or ones like this that just have an enter button, and it will go to the correct page when you click, rather than automatically sending you and having your users get stuck in the infinite loop thing.

http://javascript.internet.com/user-details/browser-version-redirect.html

As for using the pop-up and everything, I would just make the site look small. Don't make it 100% width with little content, just set the table to like 500px wide. With a pop-up you won't get on search engines, the site can't be viewed on a cell phone or pda, and it will be blocked altogether by pop-up blockers.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 17th 2003#91081 Report
SWAN! You're back!!!
Ignore Deker, nobody likes him and he has atheletes foot ;)

Anyway, to be honest with you I'd say screw anyone who uses anything less than NS 7.0. Sorry but it's just a fact that NS 6.x and under can't handle standard code. What you can do is do a NS 6.x sniffer and then direct the user to a "please update your piece of crap browser that does not work so I had to put up this sniffer to tell you so" page. Or you could put that in your own words
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 17th 2003#91104 Report
lol who use's NS anyway :P
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 18th 2003#91419 Report
Hey guys appreciate the replies.

Deker,
Thanks for the post, actually you are just about right on, I am looking for a script that acts similar to a meta refresh tag, I'm just currently having a hard time finding something like that.

Pank,
You bet I'm back!:D Thanks for the advice, and if it was my site you know I would do it if for no other reason than to eluminate my disdane with Netscape, and try to save so many from the evil pull of the dark side. Unfortunately it is a client site, and you know clients, they want everybody to be able to view their site effortlessly (but they still want all the bells and whistles). Anyway, that would still require a redirect script and I would still be in the same predicament.
P.S. You'll be seeing a lot more of me.

Zyco,
First of all, I saw your design for Breezah in Pixel Wars, very nice, I liked it a lot. Great work. Anyway, to answer your question in response to my post, unfortunately too many people use Netscape. As much as I would love for Netscape to shut down, Stop creatING THEIR BROWSER, AND SEND OUT AN IRRADICATION TEAM TO UNINSTALL IT FROM THE COMPUTERS OF EVERY NITWIT STILL USING IT AS THEIR PRIMARY BROWSER...:mad: ............
I'm sorry was that out loud? What I mean, is as long as Netscape still exists, it is a neccessary evil that we have to deal with in the best ways we can.

/*edit*/ This rant pertains to versions of Netscape earlier than 6. Pank is correct in saying that the newer versions of Netscape are interpreting code far better./*end edit*/

Anyways all, I may have to just create a splash page that offers the user a choice of which browser they are using. I spoke with the client and he is willing to go this way, he's very easy to work with, I would just have preffered to go the path of least resistance for the user. Well, if anybody else has any other ideas please let me know, if not I guess I will just have to go the other rout. Thanks guys.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 19th 2003#91430 Report
You know NS 5.x is 2 versions ago. They have made very good progress since 6.x and up. If somebody is still using 5.x and they are a NS primary user I'd say they are an idiot. Anybody who uses a primary browser normally updates it. And since we are on 7.x I'd bet there would be few to none 5.x users. Just a hunch. I gave up on 5.x a long time ago ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 19th 2003#91434 Report
Your probably right, I guess I'm just still harboring ill will about the whole Netscape mess. It's hard to let myself believe they will ever get it right.

You've got a great board here, looks like you've got a lot of great talent in here, it's good to be back. By the way, how many posts do you have to have to enter the Pixel Wars? There was some talk in there about 25 posts?
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 19th 2003#91488 Report
For you I'll make an exception. Only because you have been around since the AndyArt days ;) If you want to go for it go for it. And if anybody gives you beef point them to this thread to let them know it's cool...
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum