TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

PHP Tables

Page: 1 Reply
Jun 29th 2001#7128 Report
I Installed a forum script (PHP), and it gave me a txt file called tables.txt and in the README, it says to "create your tables." How?? Im stuck!!!!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 30th 2001#7180 Report
heh...hope you have some coffee...

I could:

1- Type a really long message about database admin stuff...

or

2- Give you a link.

so...

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/MySQL/Administration/

Click on that^^^ and have fun
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 30th 2001#7181 Report
doh...stupid enter key...

here is the really long message part.

1st - you need a webserver that supports php/mysql or some type of relational database. Most likely, your forum package was written for MySQL. Which in-turn means your webserver needs to be running the Linux OS/Apache/MySQL and have PHP support installed.

2nd - you need the administrator to either create a table for you and populate that table with your data..'in the text file'. Or the admin will have to create a database user for you so that you can administrate your own db tables.

3rd - you will need to know commands for the linux shell ('hope your linux webserver has bash').

4th - You will need some type of software to both ftp your forum software, the data for the database - in the .txt file and some telnet program. Usually windows telnet works fine, unless your webserver is not running telnet and is using ssh or ssh2 as an alternative for security reasons.

5th - you need to know the commands and switches that are associated with:
mysql
-drop
-create
- ...etc etc etc

6th - patience to do this and get it right the first time. If you screw up, its no big deal, you just repopulate your database correctly the next time. Or you drop the database and re-create it.

have fun=)
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 30th 2001#7224 Report
If your not comfortable admining mySQL via SHELL, then I suggest using phpMyAdmin. http://www.phpwizard.net
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum