TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Advanced PHP FILE NEWS SYSTEM QUESTION

Page: 1 2 3 Reply
Sep 14th 2002#69290 Report
YO all i have a very advanced problem with php.....Im trying to do one of those form news things were u can fill out a form and it edits a txt file that is included on the index page...the form part is ok,so is the text file,and so is the main page that uses the include function to import the txt filee into it.
my only problem is the php document that opens and edits the txt file and then closes it with the form info that i typed in.i will supply the source for all 4 pages and can u please try to explain how i can get the php part to work with the other pages....
Form File Named: newsform.htm
[PHP]
News Form

News Form:

[/PHP]
PHP FILE NAMED: news.php
[PHP]$fp = fopen("news.txt","r+");
$what = fgets($fp);
$what = array(
echo ($head); ?>

echo ($date); ?>
echo ($news); )
rewind($fp);
fputs($fp,$what);
flock($fp,3);
fclose($fp);
?>[/PHP]
btw im pretty sure that this php file is the messed up file :mad:
TEXT FILE : named news.txt
there is no data in here yet because the php should edit the file and print in there what ever i entered into the form
MAIN PAGE NAMED: home.php

[PHP]include("http://localhost/news.txt")
?>[/PHP]
the link does nt matter that is just were i placed the txt file in my server......
well i think that this must be the most difficult question i have asked here before and i hope it will be answered....i found out this could be done when i learned of the php counters that u can make without mysql but just a file that is edited and then closed whenever its accesed.......still the same theory....plz help me fix this php file and if u have more questions that u need answered to fix this prob email me at [EMAIL=micro@rant-on.net]micro@rant-on.net[/EMAIL]
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 15th 2002#69294 Report
save me Hunkorama417 and sidex.....
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 15th 2002#69315 Report
hey, what about me? :p

anyway, i fixed the code up, and am just going to post 'em, hopefully you can see your own mistakes.

news.php
[PHP]
$fp = fopen("news.txt","r+");
$news_entry = $head."\t".$date."\t".$news;

fwrite($fp,$news_entry);
fclose($fp);
?>
[/PHP]

newsform.html
[PHP]

News Form

News Form:

[/PHP]

home.php

stays the same

hope this is what you wanted.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 15th 2002#69350 Report
hey thanks man but shouldnt i have the $ sign in front of the names of the varibles.....?in the form part
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 15th 2002#69351 Report
:( :(
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 15th 2002#69352 Report
shouldnt it be like this and named a php file because the varibles are not being defined.....
[PHP]

[/PHP]
when i tested it in browser the thing says

Notice: Undefined variable: head in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\news.php on line 3

Notice: Undefined variable: date in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\news.php on line 3

Notice: Undefined variable: news in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\news.php on line 3
nothing was wrong with the form but news.php couldnt find the varibles...so i added the $sign and turned it into a php document but now it says
Parse error: parse error, unexpected '<' in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\newsform.php on line 2
the news.php works and im thankful for that but i still need to figure out the form part.....
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 15th 2002#69357 Report
You don't need to define variables in php. Its not like C++ or Java.
Its just needs to be <input type="text" name="head" value="Header" maxlength="200" size="50">

When you parse the form, php takes the names as the variables and uses them. What P.Squid gave you was right. Some stuff might not work on the Windows side, so you might want to upload it to a Unix server and test it out.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 15th 2002#69366 Report
ok thanks
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 15th 2002#69368 Report
still there is an error on news.php
[PHP]$fp = fopen("news.txt","r+");
$news_entry = $head."\t".$date."\t".$news;
fwrite($fp,$news_entry);
fclose($fp);
?>
[/PHP]