TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

self-updating site

Page: 1 Reply
Jun 8th 2001#5470 Report
charm: opinionated designer -- yes!
charm: accomplished programmer -- not quite...

i have a site where the content changes daily. how can i develop content weeks in advance and have the site update itself daily while i lay on the beach somewhere?

beach...yeah right.

thanks!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 9th 2001#5485 Report
charm... it would help if we could see the site.. :p

heheh...

Snore
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 9th 2001#5529 Report
the site exists only in my head right now!
i think i've explained what i am looking to do good enough.
any ideas?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 9th 2001#5552 Report
Charm,

I think I found a Javascript (not server side) solution to your question. I'm gonna test it now.
only thing....
your visitors (if they choose to) can look in the source and see the next days content, unless you call a .js from the page. anyway, I'll let ya know tonight.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 10th 2001#5574 Report
I think it's pretty simple.

You can make a (MySQL) database with tables with names like 06102001 (today), 06112001 (tomorrow) etc. and then you van use PHP to get the date. With the date you can get the correct content out of the database. Do you see what I mean?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 11th 2001#5719 Report
Well, I've been involved with a site like this and don't use different tables for different dates, that's not a good idea!

But the easiest way would probably be a simple php site with a mysql-db as a base. Then you store all articles with a start date and an end date.

Then you extract the articles based on those dates using plain old SQL, something like "SELECT * FROM articles WHERE startdate > now() AND enddate < now()" or something similar.

It's a bit of work, but it's put to good use and you'll learn a lot.
Dan
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 13th 2001#5826 Report
Well, Charm, I'm gonna shoot ya an email via this forum and you can reply to it and I'll send you the javascript... it is running on an aquaintance of mine's site and was tested updateing automatically monthly....but it will do it daily too.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 13th 2001#5827 Report
Correction, you have email turned off from this forum, sooo, drop me a message at [email]Chris@webregion.com[/email]
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 7th 2001#7805 Report
Try newspro... don't remember the url, but shouldn't be to hard to find. With newspro u can post news in advance and set the date and time u want it to be available on the site.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum