TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

3D decanter

Page: 1 Reply
Oct 29th 2001#19404 Report
Hi, haven't posted in ages! I've been workin on Cinema 4D for a while now and i've finished this pic which has quite a lot of photoshop in it when it came to colours. What do ya think?
HERE

thank you :D
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 29th 2001#19410 Report
C'mon people, say something!!
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 29th 2001#19421 Report
Very nicely rendered. Reflection mapping (I'm really not that knowledgable on 3D programs) looks very cool.

A couple of annoyances though. Not on the artwork itself, just its presentation.

Saving as a GIF file for a rendering may not produce much artifacting, but I did see some color banding and aliasing/pixelation from saving it at such a low color depth. Saving as a 24-bit JPEG file would have produced much better results. Also file-size wise, it was 206KB. A JPEG would have been about 1/3rd that size and looked better. Making an image prettier and saving people's bandwidth to see your picture is always a plus in my book. Just adjust your save for web settings.

And ugh, you used Geocities to host the image. Its such a pain to view a pic using them, which may be why you haven't recieved the replies you want. Geocities is annoying to use. You gotta drag the url into a new browser window just to see it. Didn't I suggest to you to use boomspeed.com to link your images from? Slow, but works much better than this.
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 29th 2001#19425 Report
Ok, the link is now to boomspeed.com. Erm I really don't think you're 100% right about the gif/jpg thing. I made it a gif because i'm not a fan of large file sizes at all and jpg take up a lot more space than gif do, so i knew there was colour loss there. I could put it up as a jpg but i'm not going to be that cruel to ppl. Maybe Deker could shine more light on file size (and the fact that for some reason the server keeps hanging up!), but i though gifs were a lot smaller. I could be wrong though. Thanks for the comment, much appreciated :D
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 29th 2001#19426 Report
GIFs are not always smaller than JPEGs. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

GIFs only support 256 colors, and so should be used for things with very few colors. This includes illustrations, most interface designs, buttons, animated sigs, etc. GIFs don't suffer much quality loss (unless there are over 256 colors) as they save each pixel value.

JPEGs support a billion colors, but they also suffer some quality loss. They kind of take an average of all the pixels around them, and then blur them together. To be really non-technical anyway. Also if you save a JPEG, then save it again, and again, the quality will become worse and worse until it's just a big mess of smudgy color.

To make a long story short, GIFs should be used for simple things with simple patterns and not very many colors. JPEGs should be used for photographs, complex renderings such as yours, and things with a lot of colors.
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 30th 2001#19432 Report
I see, here it is. The file size is actually smaller. I already had this on my HD because i knew there was a loss of colour and there was some grittiness. Thanks Deker and Mr Bogus. Sorry for thinking you were wrong Mr. B it's just that usually when ppl use jpg's they're so huge. My pic is actually a wallpaper (1024*768) and i've seen artwork arounf 500*600 which is 700K, i hate that so much!! Anyhoo, thanks for the comments again!

PS, why did you get rid of your cool sig Mr. B?
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 30th 2001#19464 Report
Speaking of sigs, you need to optimize yours cybling.. 25k limit..

Snore
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum