TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

what to look for in a digicam?

Page: 1 2 Reply
Jun 10th 2002#52484 Report
i've been thinking of purchasing a digital camera since this here section started up, but i'm no pro at taking pictures, in fact i've never owned a camera that wasn't disposable :(

i'm caught in a jumble, I've found some that SEEM good, but I really got no idea how they stack up eachother...since i'm not professional and just mainly using this as means of getting me some stock photos etc...i don't know what features i need and do not need; ex: manual focus, auto [anything] , ISO numbers? exposure compensation? resolution, what's the diff?

well here's the list i compiled...and i really don't know if they are still this much...but if they are can u suggest some like around 300 and below thanks. and i kinda want it compact-ish..

casio gv20
Olympus C34040Z
Panasonic DMC-LC20
Sony DSC-S85
Pentax Optio 230
Kodak DC5000
Kodak DC5000

thanks!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 10th 2002#52487 Report
hey, since this will be your first camera, a 2 megapixel camera would fit your needs, my first camera was a canon powershot A40(that would be good for you as well) Ill define some of those terms for you
manual focus: when you yourself make the picture clear
auto functions:when your camera does something for you by itself
ISO: on film cameras this is film speed
try dpreview.com for reviews..........Id say the best camera out of those listed is the Olympus
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 10th 2002#52488 Report
i don't see the canon powershot a40 in there :p :D

[edit] bah, davejatsv already mentioned it [/edit]

[edit2] and you do realize the olympus is $800, right? lol [/edit2]
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 10th 2002#52490 Report
yea i notice those prices are high, but some other preview/review for cameras seem out of date, so i'm not sure if those prices are current.
yea i knew waht the ISO and stuff are, but i don't know how often i would need to use the ability to change the ISO,white ballance override, need manual focus etc...and all those links are from dpreview

so i guess i'll look at the one u suggested...thanks
(further input appreciated)
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 11th 2002#52509 Report
I've got the C-3040z and really like it a lot. I think you can get 'em now for around $450 new. Works well in lower lighting situations. Has manual focus, shutter and iris which come in very handy as you progress in your shooting skills. Plus you can use additional optional lenses with it (wide angle, macro, etc.) using an optional adapter. Feels nice and solid too which helps steady your shots to keep them sharp. C/net picked it as a *favorite* and it's received several positive reviews.

I've heard that Sony you listed is supposed to be a nice model too. You should try and get into a store where they have them on display so you can play with them and help you decide.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 11th 2002#52511 Report
What will this camera be used for?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 11th 2002#52513 Report
mainly for stock photos, scenery, objects (near/far) experiment w/ things on the learn section of that site...people, vacation...

so overall from the prices listed on the site, have they dropped? or still around the same 800+ or whatever?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 12th 2002#52630 Report
One other note on the C-3040Z, with that optional adapter, you can also attach filters as well as other lenses to it. I just ordered a .9 neutral density filter for mine so I can use slower shutter speeds during the day time and really block some sun during the evenings when the sun is setting. Nice effect for blurring moving objects against a non-moving background (as long as that camera is *steady*)!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 19th 2002#54005 Report
White balance, how much noise will the camera produce under low light conditions, aperture, options, memory, resolution etc etc.
Just read some reviews on dpreview.com, not so much to find the right camera, but more to figure out what makes a digital camera good. Your final resolution that you are going to use, if it's for screen or print should be the guideline to decide how many mega-pixels you really need. I'm a photographer for many years and it would take me at least a few pages to give you some guidelines, because for buying the right camera you need quite some understanding about photography in general. I would advice you talk with experienced photographers around you (not the guys in the store) and I'm sure they can give you some good advices.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 19th 2002#54025 Report
thanks
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum